Raising SG

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am starting my first run of freshly picked blueberry wine. I have to say this was a great experience from picking the fruit to preparing the juice for fermentation. I started off with a 4 gallon batch that has worked up to a 5 gallon. It has been about 24 hours and I am wanting to pitch the yeast (71B-112) this afternoon.

My SG is is sitting at .075 @75 degrees. should I worry about raising this another .005 - .010 or run with what I have?

At this temperature sitting at 1.080SG what would my alcohol percentage be after fermentation?

Edited by: First Time Wine

What you have there if you are saying it is 1.075 @ 75* and not knowing if you have adjusted the SG for that temp is approx. would be a finished abv of 11.25 which is a little low but nothing to worry about. I like to go for between 1.080 -1.085 on fruit wines and maybe a little higher depending on the fruits intensity and blueberries is 1 that can go a little higher to say 1.090. You can leave it alone or up it just a little bit.
The formula I use for figuring out abv goes as such- Starting SG(1.080) - finish SG(approx. 0.992) = multiplied by 131.4 gives you answer.
1.080-.992=.088 x 131.4= 11.563

Thanks Wade,
I talked to George on the phone and he said about the same thing. I got it up to 1.080 by slowly adding sugar. I can't beleive how nice it smells and how thick the color of the juice is. When it is all said and done it should make a nice looking wine with just the right amount of alcohol for a fruit wine.

First Time...Who let on this forum without a camera? Man you gotta put pictures of good stuff like that Blueberry on here !!!
smiley4.gif

Here are some picks....Last year we didn't have BB's because of a late freeze. This is one wine I have been dying to make.
20080612_183122_DSCN1483.JPG

20080612_183241_DSCN1484.JPG

When I open the top it smells like a blueberry pie. I really expect this one to have a great taste and color.

Edited by: First Time Wine

Awesome looking First...Are you going to oak it. I like an Ameican medium toast for my Blueberry

Very nice...Looks so good, makes me want to go out and buy some blueberries....Should be an awesome wine..
smiley20.gif

Hey Waldo,

In a couple days I am looking to rack my BB wine. Would you suggest adding the oak in the first rack during the last part of fermentation or during the aging process?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back