WineXpert Racking into secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyK68

Reaction score
Im going by the directions that say to rack into secondary @ 1.01. Will the fermentation have slowed down quite a bit by then? After a week thisd is still pretty active. I havent taking a reading yet, but I will later. If it is down @ 1.01 do I rack, or do I let the fermentation slow down first? Thanks.

If your SG is where it is supposed to be, go ahead and rack. One of the most important steps in a kit wine is racking from the primary to glass at the appropriate time.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

I agree with smurfe.
You want the fermentation to still be active when you rack to secondary. That way you get a CO2 buildup in the secondary which keeps the oxygen out. that's important to protect the wine from oxidation.

Thanks for the replies guys. I am about a gal. light in the primary (my mistake) So I am planning on racking it a little higher then 1.01. Its at 1.04 right now. I'll give it until probably Sunday and rack it.

If that is what the directions say then do it...Make sure you take your SG reading 2 days in a row to make sure it is stable and reads the same...

Don't wait for the SG to be the same 2 days in a row before racking to secondary. You only do that when you want to make sure the fermentaion has stopped at about .990 to .994. That's not what you want at this stage. When it get's to the desired SG, rack it if you can that day.

appleman said:
Don't wait for the SG to be the same 2 days in a row before racking to secondary. You only do that when you want to make sure the fermentaion has stopped at about .990 to .994. That's not what you want at this stage. When it get's to the desired SG, rack it if you can that day.

This is correct. You only check the SG 2 days in a row at the end of fermentation to assure it is indeed time to stabilize. Even if you did rack now, if there is no foaming going on it would be OK. Just follow the directions and rack at the target SG the recipe says and you should be fine.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Back