Racking from 1 primary to 2 secondaries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truebrew

Reaction score
I racked my craisin wine from my primary bucket to 2 secondary 1 imperial gal carboys about a week ago. SG was at 1.020. Of course, I didn't stir before racking as there was a tremendous amount of sediment from the craisins. (I didn't use my 3 gal carboy because I thought there would be too much headspace left.)

I haven't taken SG readings from both carboys since but I have noticed that the one with the sediment still floating in it has more bloops in the airlock than the other one. Should I recombine the two into the 3 gal carboy, leaving the sediment in there and hope it fills the carboy? Or, just take some SG readings and hope there's enough yeast left in the 1st one to complete the fermentation?

If I recombine into the 3 gal carboy, I have nothing to fill that extra headspace if there is one.

Suggestions???

What are the sg. readings from both 1 gallon carboys now?

Yeast will multiply and all will be well. One may "finish" before the other, but that shouldn't be a problem.

You wrote about hoping to fill the carboy.
During secondary fermentation, it is not necessary to fill the secondary vessel, as the CO2 being produced will protect the wine from oxidation.

You could combine the two into the bigger carboy and add an air lock. When, based on the SG, fermentation is completed, you can split the wine again into two filled vessels. It is during and after clearing that you want to have a topped-off vessel(s) and airlock(s) for your wine.

This way, as you pointed out, you can leave the sediment and remaining lees in the bigger carboy.

be sure to stir it and take most of the sediment over to that carboy.

SG from 1st is 1.000.
SG from 2nd is 1.016.

Looks like 1st is fast approaching dryness. They both smell awesome.

Thanks for cluing me in on the C02 protection layer. I think I will combine, then, into the 3 gal.--after stirring both. I'd like them to both be ready at the same time for bottling purposes.

:u
Recombined the two and they seem happy to be reunited. Airlock is pressurized.

Thank you for leading me down the correct path...

Good deal!!

Just be sure to stabilize when they are done fermenting - and add sorbate in if you are planning on sweetening.

Good deal!!

Just be sure to stabilize when they are done fermenting - and add sorbate in if you are planning on sweetening.

OK, now I'm going to show you just how much of a newbie I am. By stabilizing, do you mean to add crushed campden after the SG remains the same for 3 days to stop (or severely retard) the yeast from continuing in its relentless quest for reproduction???? :h

OK, now I'm going to show you just how much of a newbie I am. By stabilizing, do you mean to add crushed campden after the SG remains the same for 3 days to stop (or severely retard) the yeast from continuing in its relentless quest for reproduction???? :h

You got it! Also, if a recipe calls for adding sorbate, you would also add it as the final step in stabilizing. If your recipe doesn't call for sorbate, don't worry about it. Sorbate (Potassium sorbate) is sometimes added after the campden, which doesn't actually "stop" fermentaton, to render the remaining yeast unable to reproduce. Typically, it is required if the wine is going to be sweetened before bottling or if the wine was not fermented to dry. Any remaining sugars can always restart a fermentation, if any yeast remain and those yeast are still able to reproduce.

Last edited:
You got it! Also, if a recipe calls for adding sorbate, you would also add it as the final step in stabilizing. If your recipe doesn't call for sorbate, don't worry about it. Sorbate (Potassium sorbate) is sometimes added after the campden, which doesn't actually "stop" fermentaton, to render the remaining yeast unable to reproduce. Typically, it is required if the wine is going to be sweetened before bottling or if the wine was not fermented to dry. Any remaining sugars can always restart a fermentation, if any yeast remain and those yeast are still able to reproduce.

How long after the campden do you add the sorbate (assuming you're planning to sweeten)? If I remember correctly from other posts, shouldn't that be added about a week before bottling and the sweetener a couple of days after the sorbate?

If your recipe calls for sorbate, typically, you add the kmeta or campden, stir, then immediately add the sorbate and stir, all a part of the same step. (There might be some exceptions, but the sorbate needs to be in the wine before it is sweetened.) This is the way I would do it if your instructions don't say otherwise. If the sorbate is not in there, the sweetening can (probably will) restart fermentation.

Latest posts

Back