Racking cane broke

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krhodes

Junior
Reaction score
I was removing the tubing from my racking cane and the hooked end broke off and cracked what was left. I'm in a bit of a jam because I don't live close to any supply stores and I really need to rack before Monday. Any suggestions? I know I could pay over night shipping and get one tomorrow but I'm a little on the poor side currently. In case it matters.....this is my first rack for three carboys, second rack for 4, and third for 1. I did ask someone at Lowes if they sold anything that would transfer liquids and they couldn't think of anything.......may be Auto Zone?

Becuase you state that you HAVE to rack before Monday, I presume your wine is still in the primary and you're racking to a carboy? If this is the case, sucking up a little bit of sediment wouldn't be the end of the world.

I would just go out and buy some flexible tubing. Hardware stores should carry it. You'll be racking like normal, the only thing missing will be the rigidness of the cane. You'll have to keep the tip of your tubing off the bottom so that you don't vacuum up the sludge. The "anti-sludge" tip on your racking can should just pull off; I would take it along to the hardware store; you might find tubing that the tip will fit on.

I broke the very end off of mine but was able to push the tubing onto the hose. I know it's a horrible feeling when you hear that crack or clang. I yell at myself all the time but I don't listen.

If you are racking off of the primary you could splash rack. If you are racking off of sediment from clearing another few days won't hurt.

If you use a siphon hose as Minnestamaker suggested, An easy way to keep from siphoning up the sediment is to attach a small "stick" of some kind to the end of the hose that goes into the primary. The stick should protrude past the hose by an amount that is just greater than the depth of your sediment. The stick can be secured to the hose with rubber bands, just make sure everything is sterile.

if he just broke it up at the top where the bend is he can probly cut off most of the cracked part and use whats left that way it has weight and the rigid end on it

if you don't have like a hack saw or something similar then get an old knife and heat it up it'll slide right thru it like butter and make a good clean cut

Becuase you state that you HAVE to rack before Monday, I presume your wine is still in the primary and you're racking to a carboy? If this is the case, sucking up a little bit of sediment wouldn't be the end of the world.

I would just go out and buy some flexible tubing. Hardware stores should carry it. You'll be racking like normal, the only thing missing will be the rigidness of the cane. You'll have to keep the tip of your tubing off the bottom so that you don't vacuum up the sludge. The "anti-sludge" tip on your racking can should just pull off; I would take it along to the hardware store; you might find tubing that the tip will fit on.

You can use a 1/4 or 3/8 inch oak wood dowel and the plastic tubing u currently own. Use stainless steel tie wire and tie the tubing 1/2 inch higher than bottom of wood dowel. Works like a charm. Make sure you sanitize wood dowel prior to racking.

Racking

I was reading about the racking cane broke and was wondering if this would work. What would be the down side to removing the tip from the racking cane and racking the krud into a jug. You could get all the krud out and then rack good clear wine. After the krud jug settled, you could then rack it off into a litre bottle. All the wine would still be kept under an air lock??????

Semper Fi

I broke my first racking wand the same way. I was able to cut the hose in order to remove the broken piece and to use the broken wand until I could get a replacement. Now, I always soak the hose in hot water before trying to remove it.

I've found that if you splash some water in between the hose and the racking cane it will reduce the adhesion between the two and they will come apart very easily.
Also this works well for a rubber bung that is stuck to a fermentation lock.

Ive taken the anti sediment tip off the broken cane and inserted it right onto the racking hose itself and used that.

You can use a 1/4 or 3/8 inch oak wood dowel and the plastic tubing u currently own. Use stainless steel tie wire and tie the tubing 1/2 inch higher than bottom of wood dowel. Works like a charm. Make sure you sanitize wood dowel prior to racking.

This is what i have been using for years and works great:h

Thank you for all of your help. I have my old auto siphon that is sized for one gallon batches. I am going to zip tie it to a broken plastic hanger and lower it into my carboy as the wine level drops. I am also going to cut the broken and cracked end of the other one and try to slide tubing over what is left of it. Thank you so much for all of the help.

Latest posts

Back