quick sanitizing question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mumptia

Reaction score
Hey there, first post here.

I'm making my first batch of wine and am almost ready for its first racking.

I am using sodium metabisulphite as my sanitizer.

Everything in the manual and kit instructions makes sense and everything is going smooth.

My question is, after I sanitize my glass carboy and pour the excess sanitizer out, must the carboy be dry before I rack into it?

No it don't matter. This from one newbie to another!! Some times I think they get tired of the same questions over and over so I will let you know what they have told me. It don't matter. The K-metta is not enough to interrupted anything. Your fine! carry on!!

Hey, Mumptia, welcome to the forum. As Tess says, most of us let the sanitizer work and then dump it out, letting it drain for a few minutes. The amount left behind will not have a deleterious effect. Interesting that you are using Na-meta and not K-meta. Any reason for this? No problem, just wondering.

Hey, Mumptia, welcome to the forum. As Tess says, most of us let the sanitizer work and then dump it out, letting it drain for a few minutes. The amount left behind will not have a deleterious effect. Interesting that you are using Na-meta and not K-meta. Any reason for this? No problem, just wondering.

No worries, the Na-meta is what the skipper sold me at the wine shop.:p

I'm going to have to keep on reading about this wine making racket lol. Lots of questions that can be answered with a little research.

Been a long winter up here in Northern Alberta. I should have started this wine a long time ago.

Nah, we don't get tied of the same questions. Every time a new member comes along and he/she is inexperienced, they naturally are going to have the same questions.

It might be nice to someday have a FAQ/Answer section that is in alphabetic order. Maybe grouped by general topic. This way newbies have a place to go to get specific questions answered.

But then, if it is too encompassing, no one would be asking questions anymore!!! It might get a little boring logging into the forum once a day and finding only a couple questions.

Just keep the questions coming. We all started out asking simple questions. You gotta' admit, it feels kinda' good to get to that point where, when you read a question you can turn around and answer yourself. Oh! Oh! I know, I know!!!

Most people here use the potassium form rather than sodium. They accomplish the same thing, but sodium does add a small amount of sodium to the wine. I've used both. I see now that some catalogs are listing the sodium as an equipment sanitizer and the potassium as a wine additive. No worries either way.

No it don't matter. This from one newbie to another!! Some times I think they get tired of the same questions over and over so I will let you know what they have told me. It don't matter. The K-metta is not enough to interrupted anything. Your fine! carry on!!

You just have to remember, expecially when you have been on here for a while, most of the questions from the newer people are of great concern to them. I have just spent this money and have some time invested and want it to come out good. Something happens like you think it shouldn't and instant panic. The folks that are asking really don't want to wade thru a lot of stuff that doesn't pertain to what they are worried about. So we try and help a little and when things calm down, I believe most get to reading thru the forum and find lots of help on their own. Anyway, I personally like to help and believe most others on here do to, so keep the questions coming and we will keep on trying to answer. Arne.

Well, I'm a teacher. I don't mind answering questions over and over again. In my mind no question is a dumb question if you don't know the answer.

Hey Greg, how are you on Why? Why? Why? "Quoting my 3 year old grandchildren.." LOL, Arne.

Na-Meta is cheaper than K-Meta, some of the kits come with Na-Meta. Some retail places sell it at the same price as K-Meta so they will push that. I only carry K-meta.

Appreciate all the kind gestures fellas.

I'll be sure to ask a question when the time comes.

So if I'm using NA-meta, and sodium retains water, I guess it won't be a diet wine then eh? lol

I re-edited to add the quote that I missed below

Last edited:
You just have to remember, expecially when you have been on here for a while, most of the questions from the newer people are of great concern to them. I have just spent this money and have some time invested and want it to come out good. Something happens like you think it shouldn't and instant panic. The folks that are asking really don't want to wade thru a lot of stuff that doesn't pertain to what they are worried about. So we try and help a little and when things calm down, I believe most get to reading thru the forum and find lots of help on their own. Anyway, I personally like to help and believe most others on here do to, so keep the questions coming and we will keep on trying to answer. Arne.

Believe me, I do know all of this. I am one of them who is very grateful. Did not mean it to sound like I wasn't at all. Just was thinking out loud how tiring WE must be to all you old timers here at times (Blush). Im very grateful for this forum. I would have to intimated to even try doing this until I came here. When Im not freaking out about something that I may have screwed up , I read read read!!! Thank you all sooooo much. Iv spent two checks on this stuff I know it!!

Latest posts

Back