Quick Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WineNewbie

Reaction score
I transferred a couple of wines last night from primary to carboys. 6 Gallons of blueberry and 1 gallon of Bing Cherry. I combined what was left in the two primary buckets into a Carlo Rossi 3 liter jug for later topping-up, so mostly blueberry and a little cherry. Now the question:
Some of the blueberries got loose from the straining bag when I was crushing. No big deal for Primary fermentation, but some made their way into the Carlo Rossi jug (a handful). This jug may sit for a month until next racking when I need it for topping-up. Is it ok to leave the berries in there, or should I rack to another jug?

I've been doing this for over a year now, and still have such newbie questions!

Newbie, that will be fine to leave them in there for the next month. You would normally leave them behind, but it's nothing to worry about. The alcohol will keep the blueberries from spoiling.

Cool...thanks for the reply!

BTW: The wife and I just got back from our 1st trip to Napa a couple of weeks ago. We absolutley loved it.

Timed it perfectly. Harvest was in full swing and you could just smell the fermentation driving up and down Highway 29. What a great place!

Got to go into the vineyards at Mondavi and sample all of the differental variteal grapes. We will be visiting again for sure.

Latest posts

Back