Quick Kmeta Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepbabe

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a RJ Spagnols California Cabernet Syrah Zinfandel Bulk aging. Here's what I've done so far:

Started: 7/30/10
8/15/10: Racked/Degassed/added clearing agents and sulfites per directions
11/17/10: Racked and added 1/4 teaspoon of KMeta

I will add Kmeta soon and I just wanted to know your opinion on:

1. Should I rack again?
2. Should I add the Kmeta directly into the carboy and then stir or should I stir it into a little wine and then add it to the carboy?

Thanks and Go Pack Go!
smiley20.gif

If there is not much for fines at the bottom of the carboy, I wouldn't worry too much about it.....But would for sure mix the K-meta with a little wine to make sure it is dissolved, than add to the carboy and give it a light stir....

I would not rack again unless there is something to really rack. Do you filter before bottling?

When do you plan on bottling? I would not add any more K-Meta until just before bottling and then only after testing and seeing it needed to be brought up.

I added every 90 days on all my batches the first year and all of my wines smell like Sulfite when you open them. They need an hour decanted to get rid of the Sulphite.

Are you set up to test for Sulphite levels?

you last two must be into making sterile wines then :) just kidding

I assume you dont filter Al.... I have been a little torn on the Filtering, or Not idea...

Some winemakers pride themselves on unfiltered wine. I personally like some of the benefits of the filter.

My last trip to Napa Valley... I had a winery tell me to look at the clarity of the wine, and then made a point of explaining to me that " The wine is unfiltered!!!"

I have never filtered any of my wines, and have never had anyone suggest I should or comment on the clarity of the wine. However, I usually have 1-2 bottles that have some sediment from the bottom of the carboy; I mark the corks so I know which they are and make sure I drink those at home. Not a big deal.
Honestly, I don't have anything against filtering; it's hardly something to brag about either way, IMHO. I just don't filter because I'm lazy and there seems to be no need for it. So why make work for myself?
smiley14.gif

BartReeder said:
Honestly, I don't have anything against filtering; it's hardly something to brag about either way, IMHO. I just don't filter because I'm lazy and there seems to be no need for it. So why make work for myself?
smiley14.gif

smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif

I have filtered a few, mostly when I am trying to get something in the bottle faster. I agree with you Bart why make extra work when its really not necessary.

smiley20.gif

you really dont need to filter if you have let it age....even if having retained some sugar as long as sorbated....commercial whites one has to be a bit careful with

i also don't have anything against filterin...if a person likes it then knock yourself out....it certainly polishes them up.....all our wines are noted for their smoothness and i attribute this in part to the blend(s) and aging...but i also attribute it to not filtering 90+ % of them

After adding clearing agents/sulfites/degassing, did you leave on the lees for 3 months? Just asking since directions say to rack after 28 days. I haven't left sediment on lees for that long after stabilizing.

The lees are long gone. You have fines now. You can leave them on for weeks or months it won't hurt but best to get them off after a month or two at the most. They will continue to drop and compact for several weeks after adding the fining agents.

Latest posts

Back