Quick fermentation-is this ok?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pauly2275

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

I'm fairly new to winemaking and just wanted to get some opinions on fermentation rate.

I bought three pails of organic Syrah only two weeks ago and the primary fermentaion was very strong. It reached the desired 1.000 range after about 7 days and I then racked it into it's secondary fermentaion demijohns. This morning after only 11 days of fermentation the specific gravity is around .993 and tastes like it has a good amount of alcohol in it :) the body seems to be good as well, when I circle it in my wine glass it leaves some pretty impressive legs and is begining to show signs that it is well on it's way to clearing.

The directions that came with the wine suggest that primary fermentation should take between 10-30 days and secondary fermentation should have taken between 30-60 days.

Two questions

Is it normal for wine to reach it's specific gravity so soon?

Now that I've reached the proper alcohol content can I add the sorbate and sulphites to sterilize and stabilize it?

Thanks

Paul

I bet they gave you Ec-1118. That stuff works hard and fast. I am sure you are fine if you are getting the same reading for three days in a row. Afterwards, feel free to stabilize and let it relax in the demi.
I did an experiment with different yeast, some do take weeks to get the wine dry. EC-1118 never takes more than a few days.

Hi everyone :)

I'm fairly new to winemaking and just wanted to get some opinions on fermentation rate.

I bought three pails of organic Syrah only two weeks ago and the primary fermentaion was very strong. It reached the desired 1.000 range after about 7 days and I then racked it into it's secondary fermentaion demijohns. This morning after only 11 days of fermentation the specific gravity is around .993 and tastes like it has a good amount of alcohol in it :) the body seems to be good as well, when I circle it in my wine glass it leaves some pretty impressive legs and is begining to show signs that it is well on it's way to clearing.

The directions that came with the wine suggest that primary fermentation should take between 10-30 days and secondary fermentation should have taken between 30-60 days.

Two questions

Is it normal for wine to reach it's specific gravity so soon?

Now that I've reached the proper alcohol content can I add the sorbate and sulphites to sterilize and stabilize it?

Thanks

Paul

Welcome to the forum.

That's not really an unusually fast fermentation. The time depends primarily on the temperature of the must, the amount of sugar in the must, and the yeast.

Once fermentation is completed and you are happy with the wine, you can stabilize with Kmeta and sorbate. You don't necessarily have to use sorbate unless you are going to sweeten the wine.

If you are going to do an mlf, you should wait until after mlf to stabilize and after doing an mlf, you should never use sorbate.

In the future, if you did use ec-1118, you can use RC-212. Just FYI

Most fermentations can take about a week to finish. However it depends upon yeast, nutrients, type of juice, acid and ph, and temperature. How often you stir also affects the ferm. rate.

Sounds like you can rack, add sulfite (1/4 teaspoon per 5 gallons, a fining agent if you desire. Some add sorbate now, I prefer to wait until later to do that.

Degass if necessary.

Paul, there is an old Italian proverb:

Il primo bambino arriva in qualsiasi momento, dopo che richiede nove mesi. which roughly translates to "The first baby comes at any time, after that it takes nine months." :)

Same with wine, when it is ready to be wine, it is wine. From what you have written, it sounds like everything is fine. Watch the wine for a consistent SG reading for at least 3 days before adding K-meta and K sorbate. If you get the consistent reading, proceed to the stabilization, degassing and fining steps.

Thanks guys for the info! and Rocky I like the Italian proverb.

Some say to not add sorbate while others say to add sorbate. My understanding is that it is used to kill the yeast and stop and possible refermenation as the sulphite is often not strong enough to do this. My friend never put any sorbates in his wine and it began to carbonate very lightly after a few months in the bottle giving it a slightly bubbly taste, I do not want that to happen to my wine, so will probably err on the side of sfaety and add the sorbate.

do you only add the sulphites once or multiple times from start to bottling?

Paul

The sorbate is meant to protect against re-fermentation. If there is no danger of that, then you could get by without it. It is just a bit of protection and as dry as your wine is now, I don't think the additional sweetness that it imparts would be discernable. K-meta is added to inhibit spoilage due to bacteria or oxidation. It also stops the yeast growth. If you plan to bulk age your wine in a carboy for an extended period of time, say 6 mos to a year, you will need to check the free SO2 every three months or so. Some people just add a 1/4 t every 3 months during bulk aging. It is best to measure to be sure.

The sorbate is meant to protect against re-fermentation. If there is no danger of that, then you could get by without it. It is just a bit of protection and as dry as your wine is now, I don't think the additional sweetness that it imparts would be discernable. K-meta is added to inhibit spoilage due to bacteria or oxidation. It also stops the yeast growth. If you plan to bulk age your wine in a carboy for an extended period of time, say 6 mos to a year, you will need to check the free SO2 every three months or so. Some people just add a 1/4 t every 3 months during bulk aging. It is best to measure to be sure.

What tool can I use to measure the SO2?

It is not a tool Paul, it is a test kit. I would call George and his people at the Wine Makers Toy Store and ask them what they have for testing free SO2. They have a toll free number and are very helpful and reasonable.

I agree 11 days is not a bad fermentation length.

Sorbate doesn't kill yeast - it prohibits the yeast from making more yeasties.

I have had several wines that started at 1.080 and came down to 1.00 in 4 days, I have had others take two weeks!

As mentioned, it depends on alot of factors.

7-10 days should be the norm, but this isn't necessarily a norm science when you look at all the factors involved.

Dont worry, drink happy!

I am rethinking putting sorbates in my wine now after reading that it can leave a taste in the wine that may get stronger over time, what experiences have you all had with using sorbates?

Back