Quick drinking Cab?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uavwmn

Reaction score
Well, I have another co-worker about ready to start this obsession! He was trying to buy all my cabs I have made!! lol(CC Red Mountain Cab) I told him flat out NO......go make your own. And he is!!!

Of course I told him there is no better store to buy his equipment and kits than from George.
smiley2.gif

So, he wants to make an early drinking wine while he ages some other kits.
Any suggestions for Cabernets he can drink at the 4 month mark? I told him to drink commercial until he gets a kit or two with age on them.

An early drinking Cab is sorta link a Unicorn I think! I would suspect anything that is going to be classified as early drinking is also going to taste rather thin and disappointing.

Do what I do, start stocking up on soooo much commercial stuff that you won't be tempted to drink any of your home brew anytime soon. This also gives you a jump start on collecting empty bottles in which to bottle your kits into!
smiley17.gif

uavwmn said:
Any suggestions for Cabernets he can drink at the 4 month mark? I told him to drink commercial until he gets a kit or two with age on them.

A quick call to George -- I'm sure he would have a couple of great ideas.

I wrote George about this very topic 11 batches ago... I mean 8 months ago. My timing was more like 9 months with the best quality-to-time ratio and he suggested the Mosti Mondiale Reserva Caberlot.

I botched the production and didn't degas completely prior to bottling (first batch impatience) and there is a very slight bubbliness. I've been using the wine to top off the other reds I have in production.

I would say that it's pretty good after it sits a while, but would probably benefit from more time (and less CO2).

uavwmn said:
So, he wants to make an early drinking wine while he ages some other kits.

Just like you said, what ever he buys at the wineshop while he is waiting for his Cab to properly age. If he is a wine enthusiust, he is probably going to be disapointed trying a Cab early. It's truly a waste of good wine to. I would compare drinking the wine toearly to making kids work in a sweat shop in a 3rd World country, it just ain't right!

I don't think there is an "early drinking Cab." However, I know the feeling of wanting to taste the fruits of your labor. I made a Mosti VN Cabernet last February that I bottled in May. I opened the first bottle in July and I was very pleased with that wine. No, it was not as chewy as I like nor was it very complex. But, it was much better than "2 buck chuck" and my friends liked it and, best of all, I made it.
smiley1.gif

OMG.......toooooo funny!!!!!! Thanks everyone for the advice. I hope he joins this wine forum because he would enjoy you all.
smiley4.gif

smurfe said:
uavwmn said:
If he is a wine enthusiust, he is probably going to be disapointed trying a Cab early. It's truly a waste of good wine to. I would compare drinking the wine toearly to making kids work in a sweat shop in a 3rd World country, it just ain't right!

That's good and so true! Reds require patience, lots of patience. If he really wants to drink something he has made go for a white. Make it first then make the Mosti Renascence Cab, then make the CC Red Mt. Cab. By the time he finishes the white the Mosti will be ready and that will give the last one lots of time to age, if he does not share too much!

In the purple "Winemaker's recipe handbook" on page 20, recipe 58 is "instant wines, Grape". I made the "fruit" variation right next to it, and it turned out great. It is more of a wine cooler, but you have the choice to make it less sweet than the recipe calls for. I used mango instead of berries, back sweetened with white grape concentrate, and added some granny smith apple juice for tartness. You don't want the alcohol level on this recipe up in the normal range. It is designed to be low in alcohol so it doesn't need to age the harshness out, and a little sweet to cover the "green" taste. But it is ready to drink as soon as it gets over the bottle shock.

Latest posts

Back