Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcrnbrd

Reaction score
All right everybody help me out. What all do I need to start making fruit wines from scratch? I am really wanting to try this out before summer when the fruit on my property gets ripe. I have all the basic equipment for kits. I also have lots of 1 Gallon glass jugs ready to go.

You will need bigger carboys. You don't just wantfive bottles of a good wine. Thirty is a lot better. IMHO

I would recommend:
For most fruit wines, a Montachret yeast
Pectic Enzyme
Acid Blend
Super Kleer
Tannin
Yeast Nutrient
Yeast Energizer
Calcium Carbonate

I would add to Waldo's list an acid test kit.....Good Luck and enjoy...

I continue to add to Waldos list, as you will also!
smiley36.gif
But it will get you started!

Strainer bags
scale (The kind that will weigh fruits, sugar, etc. Should be able to get one in your hometown hardware store.)

Thanks everybody, guess I am going shopping. I think I have already blown my wine budget for the month. Shhhh dont tell my wife.

You don't need to get it all at once! Go to the hardware store on Saturday, bring home the scale, saying, "I thought we could use this..." or stash it somewhere. When later asked when you got it, the reply is, "This thing? I've had it for a while now." Women do that with clothing all the time.

For right now, all you need is:

20080202_053809_Recipe01a.jpg

20080202_054211_Recipe01b.jpg

20080202_054608_Recipe01c.jpg

20080202_055021_Recipe01d.jpg

(Taken from the label of a Vintners Harvest product can, George can assist you in getting)

You can mix this recipe in any safe primary container that will hold at leastfour gallons and do your secondary in several ofyour 1 gallon glass gugs so long as you have bungs and air locks for them all.

Bottles and corkscan be purchased 2 to 3 months after starting the batch or you can simplycork and cellaryour booty in the 1 gallon glass jugs (an acceptable process so long as you consume the opened jug later reletivly quickly)

I bought a small 2lb kitchen scale that Marcy uses from time to time and I've not yet used an acid test kit. Havn't seen the need since I mix, adjust and teest my must by tasting it constantly.

20080202_055352_Recipe01e.jpg

20080202_055707_Recipe01f.jpg

I am trying to squirrel away stuff as we speak. Thanks for the recipe handyman.

Hey DC:

I make 5/6 gallon batches alot from the 96oz. Vintners fruit bases. What I've found is if you use 2 cans of fruitinstead of one and remove one can of water (5 cans instead od 6) the recipe works out nice and full bodied.

Back