Questions regarding Slurry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RotGut76

Reaction score
I've been reading several threads about slurry. There is one thing I'm still confused about. Sorry in advance for the stupid question but...

Several threads state that it still needs to be "active". And that if the whatever wine is being made goes completely dry then the slurry is unusable.

Do I have to rack the wine before fermentation completes? Do I have to prematurely rack the wine to have a useable slurry and, if so, wouldn't that effect the wine that is being made by slowing or stopping fermentation?

For example, I have a batch of dragons blood actively fermenting right now. If I follow the recipe exactly would whatever is left behind after fermentation is complete be suitable for use as a slurry?

If the fermentation stops at 1.000 or below is it still useable?

I've been reading several threads about slurry. There is one thing I'm still confused about. Sorry in advance for the stupid question but...

Several threads state that it still needs to be "active". And that if the whatever wine is being made goes completely dry then the slurry is unusable.

Do I have to rack the wine before fermentation completes? Do I have to prematurely rack the wine to have a useable slurry and, if so, wouldn't that effect the wine that is being made by slowing or stopping fermentation?

For example, I have a batch of dragons blood actively fermenting right now. If I follow the recipe exactly would whatever is left behind after fermentation is complete be suitable for use as a slurry?

If the fermentation stops at 1.000 or below is it still useable?

As long as you rack into a carboy THEN stabilize your left over slurry should still be good. I personally put all the gross lees Into a jug (1 gal) and toss in the fridge. After a day in there I take the top clear layer and put it away to top off after I clear and the rest I'm using for another SP.

Ferment dry your wine. Rack off of sediment aka slurry. You can then add sugar water and make another wine most likely a skeeter per or freeze the slurry in a ziplock bag. It can last at least a year.

Sediment is comprised of living and dead yeast along with pieces of grape skin, dirt seed etc. these all help to flavor your next batch.

Ferment dry your wine. Rack off of sediment aka slurry. You can then add sugar water and make another wine most likely a skeeter per or freeze the slurry in a ziplock bag. It can last at least a year.

Sediment is comprised of living and dead yeast along with pieces of grape skin, dirt seed etc. these all help to flavor your next batch.

That's exactly why I asked. I want to use my Dragons Blood slurry to start a batch of regular Skeeter Pee. Thanks!!

I always rack to carboy at 1.020, never had a ferment stall after doing so, most get more vigorous. But I don't start anything with a slurry, I use a fresh packet of yeast. To my thinking using slurry is starting my next batch with a stressed yeast, I want to give each batch the best chance of completing that I can.

Last edited:
I always rack to carboy at 1.020, never had a ferment stall after doing so, most get more vigorous. But I don't start anything with a slurry, I use a fresh packet of yeast. To my thinking using slurry is starting my next batch with a stressed yeast, I want to give each batch the best chance of completing that I can.

Skeeter Pee is a different animal... You can use a starter, but general consensus says a slurry works better.

Slurry ferments are EXPLOSIVE IMO. Nothing stressed about that yeast when it hits a nice sugary mash or a wort. As long as you don't let the dry wine sit on it for too long that is.

Skeeter pee is lacking in nutrients. The slurry makes for a much healthier ferment.

Back