Questions...questions that need answering

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIwinemaker

Junior
Reaction score
So i have been researching, serching and learning as much as i can but i still have some questions due to my confusion
First, prep before bottling. Degasing, clearing, stabilizing? what is the order?

Second- i have no problem waiting until the wine clears by its self, im only making welch's right now (two reds and soon a white)...baby steps, so im wondering if wait till the wine clears rack into a different container and then degass?

Third-i will be treating the wine in the secondary to hot (close to but not above 80) and cold (40's-50's) to try to get the various heat sensitive sediment out.

Fourth-can i use only campden tablets as a stabilizer? will it halt fermentation and preserve the remaining sweetness and how much would i use per gallon?

Fifth-if i plan to drink soon is bottling in containers other than traditionally used(aka a used, cleaned and sterilized soda bottle) ok if i keed it out of the light?
well i think thats all for now, thanks

Rack and degass. If you don't degass it will take much longer to clear.

K-Meta or Campden tablets are for keeping the bad stuff out so it doesn't go bad. It won't do anything to your yeast.
If you want to stop the yeast that's harder and requires Sorbate or an expensive absolute filter (.45 microns). Probably other ways but I'm not sure what else you'd need. After you add sorbate wait a couple weeks then you can sweeten it up and make sure it doesn't start to ferment again before you bottle.

You can rack, degass, stabilize all at the same time, just make sure you stir it between each step.

Not sure if the temp changes will be good for it or not.

For clearing you have a few options - natural which will take a long time, Super-Kleer or Sparkalloid. The last 2 will have that dramatically clear in a day or 2 and sparkling clear in a week.

I guess you could use soda bottles if they are sanitized but regular bottles would be better and you can get them cheap (free).

I'm sure someone who knows more will be along to answer anything i missed or correct what I did mention.

well I can't tell you all but I can tell you some
1st:if you let wine clear on it's own with time it will degass itself for the most part you'll need to degass some but not as much as if you don't let it clear with time, as far as stabilizing that normally is done soon as it is through fermenting.
2nd:you can wait or you can degass for most part right after fermentation kinda goes with what's done in 1st. answer
3rd: nothing wrong with that long as it's not in alot of light(far as I know others will comment I'm sure)
4th: unless you have a really good filter system I'm not sure that you can stop fermentation to begin with you can stop it from starting back up but initial fermentation has to be done first.
5th:I myself see nothnig wrong with this but others may disagree...lol I used mason jars for years with no problems at all.
note: please let some of the senior(old wise ones lol) members put their say in this is only my opinion

Back