Questions on using oak chips

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damdaman

Junior
Reaction score
I have 3 gallons of pyment that I'm going to rack onto oak chips. I've never used oak before but hope it will add some nice complexity.

I have both light toasted american oak chips and medium toasted american. Which would you guys recommend using? How long do you usually boil them? How many chips per gallon?

I never boil them. No reason to lose all that oak flavor to the water. Not sure about how many chips per gallon. Your package may provide some instructions. I would go light on the amount at first and see how it tastes in 2 months. Note that you want to slightly overshoot the oak flavor as it tames down with more aging. If that isn't enough after 2 months you will want to add more.

First off do not boil them. Why would you want to boil all the flavor out of the chips before you use them. I put the chips directly into the wine from the bag. Yes even the dust is good and I don't want to waste it. My preference is to use Medium toasted French oal along with Medium American oak. I use a 50/50 mix. I like 15 grams per gallon. Remember you're going to extract 90% of the oak in the first 48 hours.

Oak chips are harsher than using a barrel or oak spirals. Plan on aging this wine at least 6-12 months at least to smooth out nicely.

Yes, I use cubes and will move to spirals. I've never used chips so I could not recommend amounts.

I like to use chips during fermentation, spirals after. Either way, I like still like to blend French and American for over flavor and aroma.

I use chips in primary or secondary. Mike is right on cubes and spirals later. With that said if you must I would use half and half ten grams per gallon. Next time use chips earlier.

Just to add to what everyone else has said..

I always recomend that the bigger the piece of oak, the better the result. It is not carved in stone, but is a rule of thumb for me.

As far as using the light toast or the med. toast, I would say that all depends on what you are trying to achieve. I have written an article on my take on oak. I explain my theories on what a specific oak will bring to the table. A light toast will bring more of the natural wood flavors while a darker toast bring other components like vanilla.

That's good to know, I was hoping to find a supplier up here in the great white north to avoid duties and border brokerage fees

Back