Questions on persimmon wine batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stressbaby

Just a Member
Reaction score
In the past I've made persimmon wine 4 times with plain yeast nutrient 1t/gal and all the sugar up front. Each time the fermentation was rapid, foamy, but I had an off odor. I did several things different this time and the result is much different. No off odor but fermentation appears painfully slow, almost stuck at ~1.050.

8/24 - Thawed 16# fruit with added 4 campden tabs. After 12 hours added pectic straight to the fruit and let it sit overnight.
8/25 - Next morning fruit in bag, boiled 4 gal water with 5# sugar, 3 cans pure apple jc concentrate. When cool, more pectic, and let sit another 24 hours.
8/26 - Adjusted pH to 3.48, and the SG was 1.075. Rehydrated 1116 with 1t Go-Ferm, made a starter and pitched.
8/27 - That evening (36h) temp was 24C so added some freezer packs around the bucket and got temp <21C where it has stayed as long as I use the packs; added bentonite; SG down to 1.050 so added 1t Fermaid-K. Added 22oz remaining sugar which would have gotten OG to 1.090.

Stirring twice a day as is my custom. SG is basically sitting the last 3 days at ~1.050; maybe it is dropping 0.002/day. It is bubbling slightly, you can see it and hear it so I think it is fermenting, but nowhere near as vigorously as all of my previous wines. I removed the ice packs once and the temp 12h later was 22C and I thought I detected an odor, wasn't sure, so I added back the ice packs around the bucket and got the temp back down under 21C (69.8F). No odor now whatsoever.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Remove the ice packs and let the temp come up? Just be patient?

The other piece of course is that Tuesday I go out of town and I really don't what my better half to have to deal with the wine, so I was hoping to get this wine into the secondary by then...not sure that is going to happen.

Last edited:
On this thread seth recommended Fermaid-O or possibly energizer to Rhyno who seems to have a similar situation.

I have generic nutrient, generic energizer, and Fermaid-K, but I don't have Fermaid-O.

Since you are going to have to leave Tuesday, looks like you don't have too much choice. Think if it was me, I would pull all or most of the ice packs, see where the gravity is Monday afternoon or evening, if it gets down to 1.030 or lower, put it in secondary or snap a lid on with an airlock and let it go. Or maybe keep the ice packs in til Mon. aft. or eve. snap the lid on with an airlock, and leave it. You are going to be gone, no one is going to take care of it, so you kinda have to let it do its thing. Don't know for sure, but bet it will be ok. Arne.

You don't want to overdo it, so I'd leave it out... Airlock it before you leave and let 'er go... Patience is a virtue... And some things just smell weird fermenting, but are great a year or so later...

Well, hopefully I didn't screw it up then.

Last night it was still 1.052. That is no movement, none, in 3 1/2 days.
I took off seeds and skins after a week and have 5gal of must.
I added 1/2t energizer and 1/2t Fermaid-K.

This morning it is rolling again, obviously bubbling more than before, and the SG is 1.043.
No funky odor.
I'll take reassurance from any corner!

Thanks.

you go girl....
this may seem weird but:
i had a batch do similar but when i added xtra nutrient./energizer, nothing happened. then i read about using grape nuts.
i added 1 1/2 cups water to one cup grape nuts and microwaved for about 2 minutes and let it sit to cool. added to the must and with in 30 minutes it was fermenting again.
grape nuts is full of nutrients and protein that yeast loves....
end of story>>>>>>

you go girl....
this may seem weird but:
i had a batch do similar but when i added xtra nutrient./energizer, nothing happened. then i read about using grape nuts.
i added 1 1/2 cups water to one cup grape nuts and microwaved for about 2 minutes and let it sit to cool. added to the must and with in 30 minutes it was fermenting again.
grape nuts is full of nutrients and protein that yeast loves....
end of story>>>>>>

Hey don't call me a girl...I'm a guy. :HB
Story behind that screen name having to do with a band in college and lots of beer...

Well, hopefully I didn't screw it up then.

Last night it was still 1.052. That is no movement, none, in 3 1/2 days.
I took off seeds and skins after a week and have 5gal of must.
I added 1/2t energizer and 1/2t Fermaid-K.

This morning it is rolling again, obviously bubbling more than before, and the SG is 1.043.
No funky odor.
I'll take reassurance from any corner!

Thanks.

Good deal! Trial and error til you perfect the recipe and it looks like you're on your way! :b

Just a thought, but since you are having to use nutrient like this... Why don't you try the banana soup next time in it? :db

Update:
I added 1/2t energizer and 1/2t Fermaid-K and fermentation took off again.
It was 1.028 just before I left town and I moved to secondary.
Today I got back and it is still bubbling away and down to 1.004, with no off odors...looking good.

Latest posts

Back