RJ Spagnols Question on one of the steps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swede

Reaction score
This is my very first wine making experience and my first kit, so I'm trying to be thorough and not make any mistakes.

I'm reading through the instructions and for Day 14 it says to siphon 2L of win from the carboy and reserve, then continue siphoning remainder of wine into the new carboy. Then it talks about adding Sulphite and Potassium Sorbate, sweetner, then degas the wine, followed by adding Kieselsol and Chitosan.

It never says what to do with the 2L of wine that was removed or when you would put it back. I'm assuming you pull 2L out to mix ingredients into it, but would you mix it all in that 2L then put it back when your done or was it taken out to make room for degasing?

-KellyEdited by: Swede

Swede, what kind of kit are you doing cause this sequence doesnt sound familiar unless its telling you to do this to be able to fit an F-Pack in there which is a sweetener bag which will displace quite some volume and that would be why. What ever is left could be drank or saved for future topping off.

I would figure it is probably to give you room to degass and add additives without overflowing the carboy with faoming gas. Once degassed add back what will fit-sample the rest or like Wade says keep it for later topping up. Usually the ones that have an f-pack start with a slightly smaller volume.

Kelly, Welcome to the forum....I looked at your photograpy......absolutely fantastic. Not familiar with the Spagnol's....Topping up probably.

Ramona

Im pretty sure this is an Orchard Breezin kit and the room is needed for the F-Pack like I said and after adding the f-pack and adding all the other additives you can can back as much as possible. the rest is as I said before.

Ah! ok, that makes more sense. It does have an F-Pack; it's the Blueberry Shiraz Orchard Breezin kit like wade said.

After I add the F-Pack, do I need to add most ofthespare bitback before I add the Kieselsol and Chitosan? It seemed like these had to hit the wine in a very specific order. Didn't know if adding wine after these have been put it would be bad or not.

Thank you!

And thank you Ramona for the wonderful compliments! Just another of my many hobbies. :)

-KellyEdited by: Swede

You can add what little bit of wine will fit after you have added everything else.

Latest posts

Back