RJ Spagnols Question on 2nd fermentation Merlot kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kxcrazy

Junior
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
Just joined this forum and am new to winemaking.
Order the start kit and on Jan 1st I started a batch of Grand Cru Merlot and I have a question regarding the 2nd fermentation that the instructional videos show.
The RJ instructions tell you to Primary Ferment for 14 days or until SG is 0.998 or lower and then rack into the carboy to start the Stabilizing and Clearing. It does not have you rack for 2nd fermentation.
I would like to do this 2nd fermentation as I do have a 2nd carboy and I believe it would also help reduce any sediment as it has a 2nd time to settle to the bottom.
At what time or SG should I 2nd rack to allow 2nd fermentation and how long should it 2nd ferment before I rack a 3rd time into my 3rd carboy for Stabilizing and Clearing and then bulk aging?
Thanks and great forum!

You can rack to a carboy at around 1.010- 1.020 and let it finish there ( .998 ) or less. You can also snap the lid down on your primary bucket and add an airlock and leave it untill it finishes. Once it reaches .998 or less for 2-3 days in a row you can then rack to carboy add sulfites and allow it to start clearing you will also need to degass.

BOB

Welcome to the forum.

I haven't watched any of the videos and I'm not sure that you mean 2nd fermentation, perhaps you mean secondary. However once your wine has a stable SG reading for 2 or 3 days you can rack it to glass (or better bottle) or the secondary and proceed with the instructions, especially for the first few kits. You'll find that many will just let the wine clear naturally and others like to help it along using the chemicals provided but please if you are going to let the sediment drop out naturally use the sorbate and kmeta to protect your wine and top the wine off with wine not water as necessary.
The next step is the most important, especially since you already have an extra carboy - get another wine started. I always recommend a white because they are usually ready to drink a bit faster and you'll be able to let that red rest just a bit longer while still enjoying a wine you have made.

fivebk said:
You can rack to a carboy at around 1.010- 1.020 and let it finish there ( .998 ) or less. You can also snap the lid down on your primary bucket and add an airlock and leave it untill it finishes. Once it reaches .998 or less for 2-3 days in a row you can then rack to carboy add sulfites and allow it to start clearing you will also need to degass.

BOB

Thanks for the info Bob.
I snapped the lid down on the primary and used an airlock right from the start as I have 2 dogs, 1 cat, 1 bird and 2 kids so too many things could get into the fermentation bucket lol.
I am going to check the SG today and if in the 1.01 - 1.02 range, will rack it into one of the carboys to do the secondary fermentation and then rack it again once it reaches .998 or less.
Peter

I prefer especially with red wine to ferment to dry in primary as it makes degassing easier and also lets more solids drop out in the bucket meaning you transfer less sediment over to carboy. Just snap the lid down with an airlock down around 1.020 and if it has fruit like grape skins or the such just shake it up once or twice a day to get all the fruit wet so it doesnt form a mold on top from exposure. Ive been using this procedure for many years now and many agree it works better and youll get more tannins extracted from extended exposure to the fruit this way.

I checked SG and it was 1.01 so I racked to a better bottle carboy for 2nd fermentation.The reason for using the better bottle is that we keep our housefairly cool (oil is expensive!) so I need to use a brewers belt to keep the wine at the correct temps for fermentation. I will rack to a glass carboy for clearing and long term storage.
There was a lot of sediment in the bottom of the primary bucket so I am hopeful that the 2nd to 3rd racking will keep most of it away from my wine.
There was no fruit pack with this kit, just an oak packet so no need to stir it up.
One question I do have is when fermentation is completed, how can you determine alcoholic content? The hydrometer at the lower SG shows no alcoholic content so is there a formula to determine this or another method?
Thanks for all the help so far!
Peter

You take the first sg reading and subtract the last one from it and multiply by 134.1
In example 1.095 - .996 = .099 x 134.1 = 13.275% abv
Just so you know many many of us use and have been using brew belts on glass carboys for many years with no problems. They state not to do that due to a user many years ago putting a brew belt on a veryt cold carboy and the temp difference made the glass crack sort of like a windshield can on an ice cold morning when you turn on the window defroster!

Wade,
Thanks for the formula!
I think I should have gone with a glass carboy for the 2nd racking instead of the better bottle as the better bottle holds less volume then the glass so I will have to top off the wine when I rack it into the glass carboy. Not a big deal at this point but I would rather the wine be all mine then having a commercial one in it as well :)
I think for my next batch I will purchase another glass carboy so I minimize the topping up.
Peter

Somehow carboys just seem to multiply by themselves!! Can't figure out where they are coming from!!
(That's my story and i'm sticking to it!!!)

Latest posts

Back