Mosti Mondiale Question from Newbie on 1st batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

block-carver

Junior
Reaction score
It's my first crack at making wine. I have started a kit of Pinot Gris. Yesterday was day 12. The instructions say to check the SG to ensure fermentation is progressing, so I do. My SG is at .994. Is this OK? Should it be this low now?

At day six I checked SG and it was only at 1.03. The instructions said not to rack untilSG was 1.020 or less,so I waited until the next day. It then read 1.012 so I racked into the carboy. Was this correct?

The instructions say on day 20 to make sure fermentation is complete, and the hydrometer should read .995. Do I wait until day 20 to complete my second racking??

Thanks in advance for any help for this noob!!

You are doing absolutely everything correct. It is common for fermentation to move faster than stated in the directions. Check it again at day 19 and again day 20. You may find it is lower than now. If the 2 days readings are the same, it is done. Proceed on with the rest of the directions at that point. You are doing good, keep up the good work and

Welcome to the Forum

Thanks for the response and the welcome to the Forum. I have been doing some reading. This is a great resource!! I look forward to enjoying the "fruits" of labor.

Thanks again!!

block-carver, looks like you have done well. Some fermentations go faster then others and Im glad you used your hydrometer and not just went by days. That was the right thing to do. I would wait a few more days and check that your SG is stable by not moving anymore, it shouldnt as you really have fermented to dryness as every kit pretty much will do. Give it a few more days and then proceed to next step. Please introduce yourself properly in the itroduction post and tell us about yourself such as your name and location. Im guessing you are somewhere warm judging by how fast your fermentation went or you like your house warm.

OK, I waited until day 20 to perform the second racking. SG is at .992.

After racking I added the two packets as the instructions said, stirring each one in. I then stirred virgorously with my drill mounted stirrer. I was expecting it to foam over, but I did not get any foam. Just a slight layer of bubbles on top. I got more foam performing the racking then when I stirred. Is something wrong? Also, do I top up know or wait until the 24 hour degassing? I am about 5 inches from the very top of carboy.

Thanks for any help!!

Block Carver,

I've had similar issues with my drill mounted stirrer. If you don't reverse directions or drastically change speeds, you can't get all the CO2 out. After degassing our Reisling and adding the clarifiers, we were surprised that it still had so much gas when we racked off the lees. So we went through the degassing stage again. I like stirring with a wooden dowl (thin round stick) but the fact that it's wood may not be so good. Might be better if it were food grade plastic. Anyway, you may want to try it again on the degassing.

Make sure when using the drill mounted stirrer that you go forward for a bit, then reverse direction. This creates a pressure differential and helps get the gas out. It is typical to have to use up about 2 charges over a day or two to get it fully degassed. Wait to top up until you have this done. Also make sure the temp is about 72-75 for optimal degassing.

Just read another thread about the reversing directions. So, I got up and tried it. Stil no foaming action at all?? I would run the drill forward until a vortex formed, and then reverse direction. Repeated several times. No foam?? Should I try the degassing stirrer that came with my kit instead of the mix-stir??

Thanks again!

I went back and heated the room some and then used the degasser whip. I got a little foaming action then. I will try again later.

Are you using the drill on high speed as it really needs to be a cant use one of those heavy duty drills that only works on high torque/low rpm those will not drive enough gas out.

BINGO!! I was just getting ready to post that I found out what the problem was. I put the drill on high speed and BAM! instant foaming with the degassing whip.

Now, how long do I run the drill each time, and between times do I use a air lock, open bung stopper, or open top?

Thanks!!

Just get it going in 1 direction until you see the wine just start to look like it is starting to cycle that way then go in the opposite direction. I typically used to do it all in 1 shot, this may take around 10 minutes depending on temp and type of wine. The temp should be around 74* as at this temp gas is much easier to get out of wine then at cooler temps. Kit wines tend to have more gas then fruit wines also. Edited by: masta

I think de-gassing or not de-gassing properly has to be one of the most common mistakes of newbie winemakers. I know that my first batch of Merlot wasn't de-gassed enough and it definitely brings down the finished wine. The directions in the WE kits are a little vague in this area. "Vigorous" can mean a lot of different things to different people.
On the other hand, I went out and bought the brake-bleeder vacuum pump and hopefully it gives much better results with my Italian Pinot Grigio. From the other posts about it it seems pretty straight-forward.
Edited by: masta

Milwood, the brake bleeder does a great job of degassing to the point where I dont think any drill mounted attachment can compare in my opinion. If you are bulk aging for 8 months or longer then it may degas itself quite a bit to the point where a drill attachment is fine but I bet a vacuum apparatus can still pull out a little more.

Thanks for all the direction! You folks are great at helping educate us newbies!

Question? I have been degassing for a day and a half, after I figured the speed thing out, like the instructions explain; mix for 60 secs with drill and wait four hours. I am still getting a lot of foam. Should I run the drill until no foaming happens?
Do I use an air lock between degassing?

Block-carver, you should use an airlock between degassing (and at all other times once in the secondary).Edited by: masta

Latest posts

Back