Question for all the experts

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sampvt

Senior member from Leeds UK.
Reaction score
''Hypothetically speaking''........What would happen if a Wine Kit brew, when mixed, measured light on the Opening gravity and sugar was added to bring the sg within a reasonable range. Would that brew need a little more yeast and indeed time to ferment out, or is there anything else that could be done to rescue the Kit.

It is a hypothetical question, so please don't perceive it to be a mistake in a disguised cloak.

I am No expert. But it would not need more yeast, it would run the ferment in it's own time' there are many variables in a ferment SG, temperature, type of yeast. So nothing is on a precise time table. So nothing would have been done wrong. hope this helps

What is the original sg and what do you mean by reasonable? Is this a mist kit? You should be fine but it would depend on what sg you are trying to start out at.

''Hypothetically speaking''........What would happen if a Wine Kit brew, when mixed, measured light on the Opening gravity and sugar was added to bring the sg within a reasonable range. Would that brew need a little more yeast and indeed time to ferment out, or is there anything else that could be done to rescue the Kit.

It is a hypothetical question, so please don't perceive it to be a mistake in a disguised cloak.

Extra yeast is not required IF it is still 23 litre (5 Imperial gallon, 6 US gallon) or less. ANd you are probably fine even if it's a litre or two more, although I've never tried this.

Time? IMO, time is not the factor. Oh yeah, I don't check the sg in the primary until 5-7 days have passed, but the prime necessity (IMO) is that the sg has dropped to 1.005 or below.

Kits measure light on the sg for a number of reasons. Concentrate/water not mixed thoroughy, and reading taken off the watery portion. If a grape skin kit, allowance not made for sugars in grape skins. Hydrometer reading low because paper inside has slipped. Probably some others.

At this point in the primary fermentation, "rescuing" is not necessary.

Steve

Latest posts

Back