Question About K-Sorbate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duster

Reaction score
I may have messed up. Normally I rack and stabilize once fermentation is complete (about 2 to 3 weeks after secondary) I always back sweeten my wines so when I stabilize I usually add 1/4 teaspoon K-Meta 3 teaspoon of K-Sorbate per 6 gallon of wine.
This afternoon I was stabilizing a 15 gallon batch Peach Seyval Blanc, I racked from the secondaries into the brute, added 5/8 teaspoon of K-meta and 4.5 teaspoons of K-Sorbate then realized I did not have another jar of K-Sorbate and I am 3 teaspoons shy of the recommended dose. All I could do is degass/mix well what I have done, put it back into the carboys and plan to add the rest of the sorbate once I get some.
My question is what ramifications am I going to run into by doing this. I know it's doubtful but Is it possible the half dose of sorbate will be enough to prevent refermentation? Will I be safe adding the remaining Sorbate at a later date? Should I plan on adding the remaining 3 teaspoons or should I give it a few months and add a full dose (7.5 teaspoons) of sorbate?
thanks in advance for the help.

Did you add the sugar yet? I see no issues except you need to add the remaining amount of sorbate as soon as you get it. Unless if you like wine tasting like bubble gum, Do not add another full dose. Do not add sugar until you add the additional amount.

Thanks Dan
I have not added sugar yet. I have more K-Sorbate on its way.

Latest posts

Back