RJ Spagnols Question about En Primeur Cabernet Sauvignon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcb54

Reaction score
I just started an En Primeur Cabernet Sauvignon kit (with the Genuwine Grape Skins) last night. Everything went according to plan and it is already starting to ferment a little.

Around the time for bottling, the instructions say:

"<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">OPTIONAL:[/B] Bitartrate crystals (also called wine diamonds) can often form as a result of the high quality of the juice content. While bitartrate crystals do not affect the taste of the wine, the addition of metatartaric acid helps in keeping it in suspension for approx 12 months, thereby preventing the formation of crystals. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">OPTIONAL[/B] <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">CAUTION:[/B] Cold stabilizing a wine will result in the formation of potassium bitartrate crystals in spite of the addition of metatartaric acid."

They included a packet of Metatartaric Acid in the ingredient pack.

1. Has anyone had any problems withbitartrate crystaksin their En Primeur kits?

2. Did you add the Metatartaric Acid before you bottled?

3..Should I add the Metartaric Acid or not? Or, are they just covering themselves?

I have done some really high end Mosti, Crushendo and Spagnols kits and have never had any Metatartaric Acid included before, nor have I had any problems with crystals.

What do you think???

Like they say- they are OPTIONAL. There is a chance that the crystals will form- but even if they do, they aren't harmful. Just leave them at the bottom of the bottle when you pour it if they form. The additional packet is just there as a convenience if you wanted to add them to the wine.

I bulk aged my EP Amarone and had some crystals in the carboy. I did add the packet before bottling and havent had any fall out as of yet and its been about 5 months since bottling. I have been getting wine diamonds from all my high end RJ Spagnols kits as in EP and even the Winery Series wines.

every Winery series and EP kit from RJS will produce crystals. You can delay these crystals with meta-tartaric acid like they say, but the best way to deal with this is to cold stabilize if you like in a colder region. Basically wait until it gets to about 32F or 0C and place the carboy outside for a few days (don't really go below this time). After about 8 days, you will have caused most of the crystals to fall out. You can even take a small spoon of cream of tartar and stir it in the wine to help seed the crystals.

Or you can do like I do, and just decant all your wines and use a little strainer to catch the crystals before serving.

tcb54,
I'm about to start the EP cab as well. The directions suggest putting the grapeskins in the strainer bag is optional, and that you'll extract more color by not using the bag. What did you do? I'm also confused by the three bags of oak. I assume you add these all during primary. Any trouble racking to secondary with all this oak floating around?

First of all, I see a couple of interesting discrepancies in my directions and yours:
My directions didn't mention anything aboutthe strainer bag being optional or extracting more color by not using it. Secondly, mine only had 2 bags of oak.

That being said, I did use the bag. I stirred it and punched it around pretty hard twice a day, trying to get the juices in and out of the grape skins.Right before I transferred it to the secondary I squeezed the heck out of it and got every little bit of juice out.

I did put in both of the bags of oak during the primary and had no problems racking with the oak in. Most of it had sunk to the bottom anyway.

This one completedprimary in 4 days. When I transferred it to the carboy, it continued vigorous fermentation for 4 or 5 days.

This is a very dark wine and I believe it is going to be wonderful...

I always let them finish fermentation in the bucket w/the skins in the whole time. As far as oak goes there is generally a rule of thumb. If its chips or dust it goes in primary, if its cubes or spirals it goes in carboy. If using the spigot then the grape skins will give you grief if not in bag. Ive done that both ways and if you are leaving them in till fermentation is done then color extraction will be no problem.

I have a question. I just bought a en primeur Australian Chardonnay. The date on the label on the box says 20130312. How long before they go bad and can not make it.

March of 2013. 19 months old. I'm sure its fine if it was on sale. I wouldn't pay full price. I think if stored properly it will make great wine. If stored in unconditioned warehouse I'd pass. Hope that helps.

I have made them older than that with no issues. I'm about to start the Ep Sauv Blanc and it is 16 months old. As was said above, at that age you should get a break on the price.

cheers

Latest posts

Back