Query of the Week

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimCook

Reaction score
This week, we've got an interesting question that could really bake your noodle: If you could only make one type of wine for the next year solid and that wine had to be a fruit/country wine, which single type of fruit would you use?

- Jim

based on the currant wine given to me last yr by Wade...then that would be it...even over my peach wine

I'm still trying to figure out the last one ...........
Lets see just 1 fruit to make 1 kind of wine. I really don't think I could choose if I tried. Can I make variations using just the one fruit?

VCasey,

What kind of variations did you have in mind?

On my end, I'm not sure yet - I have only tasted a couple of fruit wines (pear, blueberry, blackberry, etc.), so my taste experience is limited. I have to say that I was really surprised with the blueberry that I made from an Internet recipe. The peach wine I made is tasting young, so it has a peach aroma and aftertaste but not much else going on yet.

- Jim

I think I need to dig the black currants out of the freezer and have a try at them. Thanks for reminding me Al.

From now on, Wade will be making the black currant wine since he came and we dug them up for him last fall.

Variations could include the types of sugar added as well as agave or any number of different types of honey, or no extra sugar at all. Then of course there are the spices and things like maybe hot peppers and raisins. So many different possibilities!
Making wines and meads from fruit allows you to think outside the box. How about a peach cobbler wine or a black mead (mead made with black currants), or any number of things you could make with apples. You are only limited by your imagination and most folks have no expectations so the sky is the limit.
The first fruit wine I had was a blackberry made by a winery along the Fla Panhandle, and it was so good! We have a few around here that make blueberry and of course the Florida Winery which uses mostly fruit from around the state. Who knew wines made from fruit could be so good!

Black Raspberry or Blueberries picked in northern Minnesota. Hard to choose.

Problem with the wild blueberries is that they a small and about 200 miles north of me and it gets expensive with gas and motel.

Wild grapes wine is a the big favorite around here tho.

Chokecherry!
smiley1.gif

A dear friend of mine who has been making wine for over 5 years, let me sample some of her Blackberry wine.

I never have like sweet fruit wines that you find in local country wineries. I was astounded with her wine. It had a dry finish, tasted like a very nice Merlot. It was still being bulk aged, it was only 6 months old. I had never tasted a fruit wine quite like this.

The blackberry fruit she used to make this wonderful wine was even more surprising, Wal-Mart blackberry seedless preserves. If anyone is interested, I can post her recipe later this week.

So, Jim, my fruit would definitely be Blackberries.
Robert

Chokecherry! You can sure pick out the Northern Minnesota and Northern Wisconsin people!

Latest posts

Back