Pyrazine? Taste

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zadvocate

Reaction score
There is a taste in some wines that I have been trying to describe to myself. It reminds me of the aftertaste you have left in your mouth after a cup of coffee. It is a metallic or minerally taste. I am wondering if this is pyrazine? Or is this just tannins that need longer to tame or is this acid? Whatever this taste is, I would like to prevent it or reduce its presence in my wines. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

You don't mention what grape varietal you are inquiring about. Pyrazine gives a vegetal aroma to the wine like green bell pepper. If that is what you are referring to, it can be mitigated by ensuring the fruit has full sun exposure (especially Cab Sauv) and adding some granulated oak to the must while it is fermenting.

On the other hand, it sounds like you are describing tannin. I think a great way to get a sense of how much tannin is in your wine is sensing how much "sandpaper" resistance your tongue has against the roof of your mouth when you taste it. You can reduce the tannin in your wine by shortening the skin contact during fermentation. This means pressing after only a few days rather than letting it ferment to dryness before pressing. If it is still too tannic, you can reduce the tannin level in your wine by dosing it with gelatin. I've used the "liquigel" stuff with success there.

These are red wines. Cab, Merlot,... I don't know if it is tannin because I don't get that sandpaper feeling. Maybe its acid that I am sensing.

Sounds like acid. Have you measured the pH?

As jg said, try fermenting with the addition of oak chips.

Latest posts

Back