Puzzling problem with Corks.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNFISHRMAN

Reaction score
I have noticed that all of the wine bottles which are 750ml that I have used the #9 1.75" Agglomerated corks on have been hard to open. They have sealed awesome. The only problem is I believe they have sealed to well. I have broken 2 rabbit style corkscrew which weren't cheap made they were Metrokanes. I also notice residue from where the cork sealed on the inside of the bottle where the cork was after the bottles are opened. I always mix up some sulphite solution and soak the corks right out of the bag for approximately 5 min. before inserting them. I then leave bottles upright for 3-5 days before laying on their side. Any help appreciated.

My corks can make a very tight seal. Although the rabbit style corkscrews sell for a lot of money, they aren't of the toughest construction. I have broken 2, myself, on commerical wines. To date, I have had the best luck with just the waiters corkscrew and the estate corkscrew. The important aspect of cork removal is to make sure that you are pulling straight up and not to the side. If you remind me, I will throw ina waiters corkscrew forfreein your next order for you to try out.

smiley32.gif

I have also had problems with the aglomerated corks sticking to bottles. Especially if you chill them. I now use Normacorks exclusively. No issues.

Also, Tim Vandergrift, made an excellent post at Sommer Breeze forum about wetting corks. He strongly cautioned about doing this. His suggestion was to make a cork humidor.

1-1 gallon jug

1-375 ml wine bottle

Put K meta in the bottle and set it inside the gallon jug, pour your corks in on top of it. Close it up and forget it. Pull your corks out and straight into the bottle. Works like a charm.

Hal

smiley36.gif
I probably couldn't use a waiters corkscrew right either. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong since they were so hard to pull. I love the fact that they seal that well. I was just concerned with my bottling practices when I saw some of the residue from where the cork had sealed on the inside of the bottle. I guess I will just give up on the Rabbit style cork pullers. So I guess my bottling practices are fine then?? Thanks for all the Input.

Latest posts

Back