Push, Pull or Gravity?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crabjoe

Reaction score
So my 0.35 micron filter has appeared and I'm planning on bottling the Cab. It probably doesn't make much difference, but I'd figured I'd ask. What's the preferred way to polish the wine? In the past, I just used gravity .. so it went from carboy through filter into bottle. Should do the same or should I filter using a vac pump, push pump or something to a bottling bucket then fill?

Thanks!

I don't think you will gravity thru a .35 micron filter. I have a mini jet so I push, but would have no problem using my AIO to pull if I didn't.

If I was doing this in the factory I would filter with a pump. I would monitor the pressure on the pump as a safety to keep from rupturing the membrane and as a measure of how clogged the filter is. You will get better life from the cartridge if you have a low to moderate pressure. Check the manufacturer for the suggested flux/ pressure differential.

You are basically looking for a delta P, yes you could generate delta P with a vacuum pump.

So my 0.35 micron filter has appeared and I'm planning on bottling the Cab. It probably doesn't make much difference, but I'd figured I'd ask. What's the preferred way to polish the wine? In the past, I just used gravity .. so it went from carboy through filter into bottle. Should do the same or should I filter using a vac pump, push pump or something to a bottling bucket then fill?

Thanks!
What type of filtering element are you referring to ?
Different ones work best with pressure vs vacuum or gravity.

I personally like to polish my wine first then bottle

What type of filtering element are you referring to ?
Different ones work best with pressure vs vacuum or gravity.

I personally like to polish my wine first then bottle

It's just a pleated sediment filter for the 10" filter housing.

Here is the pressure drop graph for the most commonly available low cost pleated cartridge, the number at the top of the line is the micron rating. The MFG indicates that 4gpm is the maximum recommended flow for the 9.75" .35 micron cartridge.

Cartridge Pressure drop.png

Back