Purple Palms!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hope you folks do not find this too stupid or silly....

During our wine press last Saturday, I realized that I could tell those that really pitched in by how stained their hands were. The more stained they were, the harder they worked.

It may be too late this year, but I thought it would be fun to have a thread where we show the how hard you have been working!

Let's see those purple stained hands, the winemaker's badge of honor!

To get rid of the purple you can use a white grape juice as a stain cutter, but if you have any scratches it burns like heck. You can also use some k-meta solution to cut it pretty well also and then rinse well when done to lessen stinky hands. I get more of a spider web pattern on my hands as the fingerprints, etc hold the stain more.

I pressed on Saturday. I have used k-meta and wine away. After 4 showers, my hands still have that spider web.

Did you ever notice that any cuts get more deeply stained such as picking shear accidents? They tend to sting pretty good when you get the juice in them too.

Did you ever notice that any cuts get more deeply stained such as picking shear accidents? They tend to sting pretty good when you get the juice in them too.

Note in my pic that my ring finger has a little black line on it. That was a bit of a nick.

Note in my pic that my ring finger has a little black line on it. That was a bit of a nick.
That is what made me mention it! I have one on my left index finger- got a bit too close with the shears............I couldn't hardly tell the blood from the grape juice for a little bit. LOL

I guess I just didn't work hard enough the day of this picture............ not much color, but then my hands get more color when I am working with the press, etc than picking.

MarquetteTrial 017.jpg

The juice did not hurt too much. What really hurt was when I added some tartaric acid to the must and got some of that on it. I sprinted to the sink!!

Very nice picture grapemen. What varietal is that?

Latest posts

Back