Purchased 6 gallons of grenache- its a rosé?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiccan_Lager

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Yesterday I purchased 6 gallons of grenache and put it in my basement to have it get to room temperature. This morning I opened up the pale and and found it was a rosé and not the dark juice I was thinking it would be.

I never made red wine with grenache before so I'm wondering does grenache usually come as a rosé or did I get screwed?

Granash is a red grape and can make a rather nice deep wine.

It all comes down to maceration (letting the juice sit on the skins).

In the case of your bucket, they probably simply crushed the grapes and immediatly pressed them into the bucket. They should have told you that it is a rose.

All is not lost though. Go back to them and get a box of fresh grapes. Mix them in and allow them to ferment with your granash. This will add color, and many folks do this with bucket juice.

Meh. I don't have a crusher and I have already spent enough money as it is. It don't think it's too much as a problem. It's going to get blended in a few months anyway. I was just curious if I perhaps missed something and Grenache usually comes as a rose'.

And you are right, they should have told me that the Grenache they gave me was a rose'. I don't think I will be using this distributor again. He is a little flighty and he promised me some stuff but then "forgot" to order it. He also told me he had things and when I went to pick them up, he had no stock. We live and learn. The only reason I purchased from this distributor was because of his proximity to my house.

Thanks for the suggestion and response John.

Back