Other Propper sulfite adding

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markb1983

Reaction score
Ok I have been doing some research. How many people here add sulfites to their wine? I have been told to do it two different ways. The first way is to add 1/4 tsp every three months.

Another way is to add 1 camden tab per gallon before bottling,

What do you guys do?

You are mixing up different forms of sulfite with timing, the timing is the same no matter what form of sulfite you are using, adding in the must before fermentation starts, adding at every other racking or 3 months whichever comes first is one approach especially good for beginners and before bottling to give it one last shot of protection. WVMJ

The package of K-meta I have indicates to add 1/2 tsp before bottling!

I use that for every big batch.
For my small batches I use tabs.

Last edited:
Campden tablets are just a convenient form of metabisulfite...especially for small batches of wine. They lose their convenience, I think, once you get to larger batches

So what would 1/2 be enough to celler wine? 6 Camden tabs seems extreme

So what would 1/2 be enough to celler wine? 6 Camden tabs seems extreme

It would depend on your previous dosage. Keep in mind that campden tablets are not pure metabisulfite salt. For a 6 gallon batch, it is easier to just measure out 1/4 tsp or whatever dosage you need.

I cannot recall what the name is.... it's one of the main ones single word. Brain fart=/

Ld Carson is what I have for Camden tabs. So crush 3 of those bad boys before bottling?

You never told us how big a batch you have so how can we tell? Have you added camden previously to this wine? Is if finished for sure? Did you take any hydrometer readings? Do you have a bad habit of sticking your thumb in the bottles while racking? Depending on what the history of your wine is can help, but the standard is 1 tab/gal at anytime when you add camden, but that does not take into account he pH of the wine, how contaminated you think the fruit might be, all kinds of things can change how much you have to add including how long do you plan on keeping this, a long long time or is it going to be lucky to last past the end of summer? Good luck, WVMJ

But does K-meta dissolve in alcohol? I thought that you had to dissolve Campden tabs or K-meta powder in a small amount of water and then add the solution to the wine.

Well I have the standard 6 gallon kit. All of my wines have been bulk aiding for approximately one year. Now I just purchased a vadai barrel and was planning on running them through the barrel. My concerns are the s02 levels dropping.

So sanitizing has always been good. My intention are to be able to keep plenty of wine on hand and would love to cellar some for years.

Before adding the wine into the barrel what should I do? How much should I add?

But does K-meta dissolve in alcohol? I thought that you had to dissolve Campden tabs or K-meta powder in a small amount of water and then add the solution to the wine.

That is just to ensure that everything is dissolved. The amount of alcohol in wine is not enough to inhibit dissolution of metabisulfite.

Well I have the standard 6 gallon kit. All of my wines have been bulk aiding for approximately one year. Now I just purchased a vadai barrel and was planning on running them through the barrel. My concerns are the s02 levels dropping.

So sanitizing has always been good. My intention are to be able to keep plenty of wine on hand and would love to cellar some for years.

Before adding the wine into the barrel what should I do? How much should I add?

If you're going to put your wine in a barrel, you're going to need a way to actually measure the free SO2 level in the wine in addition to keeping the barrel topped up. SO2 levels will drop faster in a barrel compared to a carboy. From what I understand (I don't have a barrel), it can be very risky not measuring the SO2 directly.

I have added sulfite approximately 5 months ago. Only 1 Camden tab

This was to a 6 gallon batch of wine?

Yes it is. At my local home brew store, they said the only way to measure s02 is in white wines. This not true?

No, you can measure SO2 on reds, too. Here is a kit: http://morewinemaking.com/products/economy-aerationoxidation-free-so2-test-kit.html

That seems like very, very little sulfite to have added. The usual dose is one tablet per gallon (as you yourself pointed out in the first post). You added something like 11 ppm sulfite, which is not enough to protect the wine.

EDIT: Peaches pointed out to me that that I earlier said "one table" instead of "one tablet." That could be confusing and lead you astray.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back