Process for filtering with allinone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosco500

Junior
Reaction score
I'm trying to time the whole process so I have two carboys to filter instead of one due to the time it takes to clean, filter, clean, etc... So what is your process? Here is what I am doing:

1 - Sanitize the whole system by running star san through the lines, including the filter

2 - Drain the lines / filter

3 - Start filtering carboy. I discard the first few cups that come out of the filter just in case its diluted with star san (Should clean water be run through the system before the wine? I'm reading conflicting arguments)

4 - When filtering is complete, I run water through whole system, then run star san through it

I feel like this process is pretty efficient, especially since the wine is being degassed at the same time. Thanks for any suggestions / comments.

I'm trying to time the whole process so I have two carboys to filter instead of one due to the time it takes to clean, filter, clean, etc... So what is your process? Here is what I am doing:

1 - Sanitize the whole system by running star san through the lines, including the filter

2 - Drain the lines / filter

3 - Start filtering carboy. I discard the first few cups that come out of the filter just in case its diluted with star san (Should clean water be run through the system before the wine? I'm reading conflicting arguments)

4 - When filtering is complete, I run water through whole system, then run star san through it

I feel like this process is pretty efficient, especially since the wine is being degassed at the same time. Thanks for any suggestions / comments.

1 = star san or meta being sucked thru all the tubing like you were going to use it to transfer,bottle or filter. Takes approx less than 1 minute to achieve this

2= yes drain the lines and shake the filter out to remove most of the sanitizing solution.

3= I would not worry about the little bit of sanitizing solution that will be added to your carboy.
I don't recommend using tap water to rinse out the system after sanitizing it - defeating the original purpose.

4 = I will throw out the filter , unless you are planning on storing your 3 dollar filter in a meta solution. Then run water to clean out the lines (use the same process as explained in step #1 ). You do not have to sanitize as you will be sanitizing the lines next time you plan on using it again.

If you would want to talk over the phone to help clarify anything - just give me a PM and I will call you back at my earliest convenience

Last edited:
1 = star san or meta being sucked thru all the tubing like you were going to use it to transfer,bottle or filter. Takes approx less than 1 minute to achieve this

2= yes drain the lines and shake the filter out to remove most of the sanitizing solution.

3= I would not worry about the little bit of sanitizing solution that will be added to your carboy.
I don't recommend using tap water to rinse out the system after sanitizing it - defeating the original purpose.

4 = I will throw out the filter , unless you are planning on storing your 3 dollar filter in a meta solution. Then run water to clean out the lines (use the same process as explained in step #1 ). You do not have to sanitize as you will be sanitizing the lines next time you plan on using it again.

If you would want to talk over the phone to help clarify anything - just give me a PM and I will call you back at my earliest convenience

Awesome thanks for the info!

Latest posts

Back