Procedure check bottling plan, first timer.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wine_fan

Wine newbie!
Reaction score
So now that my pomegranate wine is in the secondary and fermentaion appears to be just about finished I need to start thinking about bottling.

Here's my plan:

I know I need to back sweeten so I'll be adding 3 quarts of fresh squeezed pom juice when I rack it to my next glass carboy in a few weeks. I would like to sweeten to around 1.010 so I may need to add some sugar as well.

Once all the yeast settles out and the wine clears some I plan on racking to another glass carboy, back sweeten, add sorbate and 2 campden tablets and letting it sit for a month before I bottle.

Does my plan look okay? Should I wait until just before bottling to add sorbate, campden and back sweeten?

I'm also hoping that a month in the second secondary will be enough to completely degass so I can bottle CO2 free. I appreciate everyones help so far.

Greg

My opinion, you should not even think of bottling before 180 days of aging in carboy. Very seldom does anything good come from being in a hurry to bottle.

I got burnt once by sweetening just before bottling as I had to empty all my bottles back into a carboy. But then I didn't know about adding sorbate. I would go with "Once all the yeast settles out and the wine clears some I plan on racking to another glass carboy, back sweeten, add sorbate and 2 campden tablets and letting it sit for a month before I bottle.".

Make sure that you add sorbate before you back sweeten, I'd let the wine age several months before you bottle.

as pumpkinman said...add sorbate and campden and wait a few days, and add sugar...
and degass just for the heck of it..

Thanks for the advice.

My plan now is to rack it again in a few weeks (second carboy) add sorbate, campden, back sweeten and let it age several months before I bottle it. I'm pretty patient so I don't mind waiting 6 months to bottle it. I appreciate the words of wisdom.

Thanks for the advice.

My plan now is to rack it again in a few weeks (second carboy) add sorbate, campden, back sweeten and let it age several months before I bottle it. I'm pretty patient so I don't mind waiting 6 months to bottle it. I appreciate the words of wisdom.

Perfect...you are doing the correct thing by waiting.

Latest posts

Back