Problem growing grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregsenne

Reaction score
Hi, I moved into my house a few years ago and inherited an extremely overgrown grapevine trellis system, 2 rows 60 ft long. I cut everything down at the ground 2 winters ago. Last spring (over a year ago) I bought a few grape vine plants from the store (2 from Lowes, one from Walmart) and planted them. When I planted them, I dug hole the depth of the bucket, 2 times as wide, planted the vine, then back filled it with a mix of the soil, some topsoil in a bag, and a handful or so of 20-20-20. Mulched heavily with straw, and ensured it was watered good all year long.
The 3 vines that I planted hardly grew at all last year, but always had green leaves. This year, they have green leaves, but haven't grown either! They are still only a foot tall or so.
The existing overgrown vines that I cut off at ground level 2 years ago grew to fill a 10ft section (each) of the trellis last year, and have grapes on them this year! So I know it's not the location, soil, etc. as grapes definitely grow fine here.
Why can I not get the potted grapevine plants to grow???

Thanks!
Greg

I am by no means an expert on vine growing, but before more knowledgeable folks chime in, I would say that something is happening (or, rather not happening) to the roots of the vines that you planted. Like all plants, until its minimal requirements for the root growth are fulfilled, the plants would not want to spend the energy/nutrients on expanding the shoots and leaves. So, to me it looks like either there is an issue with soil mix you put on top of them or a particular location in your garden/field. Also, are there perhaps any insects/critters that might be chewing on the new vines?

Maybe the vines you bought don't grow in whatever your climate is. Notice where over to the left acorn's location is listed? See it to the left of mine? You could save people the trouble of asking if you put your zone or city in your profile. I wonder what kind of vines you bought. Maybe the vines you bought were diseased. Maybe you burned the roots with the 20-20-20. I've done that.

Thanks for the replies. I'm a newbie here, so my apologies for not having my location in my profile. I am in southern Ohio, zone 6A.

The grapes bought from Lowes are a Suffolk Red Seedless Grape and a Concord Seedless Grape
The grape plant bought from Walmart just says "Grape - Red" on the label

The physical location should be fine. As I said, there are other grapes growing on the same 60 ft row that grow great. They are in direct sun.

When I purchased the property, the grapevines were long forgotten about. The vines were up in the trees, and honeysuckle and a mulberry tree had overgrown the area where the trellises were. I cut it all down, raked everything up and planted grass. Replaced most of the T posts and all new wire and tensioners. Then I planted the potted vines in open sections of the trellis.

I know I said I used 20-20-20, but now thinking about it, I used 20-0-20 (it was all I could find). If I had burned the roots, would the vines still have green leaves? FWIW I've planted many trees using the same method and haven't had a problem (I'm new to grapevines, though!)

Basically, I'm looking for what my next steps should be. If you were in my position, what would you do to get these vines to grow?

Thanks!! I'll take pics tonight and post them.

Last edited:
The first thing I would have done is not buy them from Lowes and Walmart as potted vines. You can order them bareroot that will grow much better. I have seen way too many potted vines from those stores never flourish while ones from a place like Double A Vineyards almost never fail. The potted ones often come looking like a bush and are horribly rootbound. You coutld prune back to a single shoot and that will make the vine want to grow up, not out. Also brak the root ball apart to expand the roots out. Like I say though you will have a lot better luck by just buying good bare root vines first thing in the spring.

I think I will buy bareroot vines next spring. I assume it is too late this year?

If I would try to salvage what I already have, would you reccomend digging them up and trying to break up the root ball? (They have been in the ground over a year).
I could prune it back, but if the problem is actually in the roots, would pruning make any difference? (There's not much to prune, anyways).

Here is one of the potted vines that will not grow. Don't mind my overgrown grass, it's rained constantly for over a week here and I can't cut it yet!
20150618_181730.jpg

And here is a section of the grapevine. The section on the right is an existing vine that I cut off at ground level last year. The one to the left of that is the potted vine that will not grow.
20150618_181835.jpg

Grapevines need 100% sun and at least 50 feet away from any tree to thrive.

50 ft? Is this because of the roots? Or the foilage of the tree?
The reason I ask is because there are trees behind these grapevines (as evident in the picture), but the back side of these grapevines is north, so the sun is angled from the side I am taking the picture from (which has no trees)

LOL somebody better tell Mr. Hid-in-Pines that….

Some of my best vines are in the shade from about 4:00PM. No problem ripening fruit either. Trees are about 5-10 feet away

Greg, yep it's tree roots. IB, notice I used the word "thrive". NM has trees? :)

Yea, quite a few actually. I live at close to 7000 ft elevation. You ever hear of the Rocky Mountains? LOL

Back