Probably a dumb question but...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vernsgal

Just me
Reaction score
when making wine I always make sure I thoroughly degas it. Why (besides blowing corks) is it important to degas when you turn around and aerate it before drinking?

Gassy wine will NOT blow corks. Blowing corks is a symptom of an unfinished fermentation.

The primary reason to rid the wine of excess CO2 is that most wines are supposed to be flat, and taste "funny" with carbonation. If you have ever tasted a flat Coke vs. a carbonated Coke, the difference is pretty noticeable. The CO2 also contributes to an "acid" condition as the gas turns to carbonic (or is it carbolic?) acid on your tongue. That tastes "sharp". Again, the flat vs. carbonated Coke shows that difference also.

Aerating wine simply allows additional oxygen into the wine which can improve its flavor, or allow some underlying flavors to become stronger.

The two (degassing and aeration) have very little to do with each other.

The more you degas a wine before it is bottled the less carbonated it will be. If fermentation is complete, carbonation will not increase. It's already there in the carboy as a byproduct of normal fermentation, which is pretty much unavoidable. If you like the carbonation, don't degas. If you want a thoroughly flat wine, do. The carbonation also fades slowly over time in the carboy.

I agree partly with DrCAD and all the way with LonelyMassachusetts.

There are three things that will blow a cork:

1.) Incomplete fermentation.
2.) Spontaneous malolactic fermentation in the bottle.
3.) CO2 in certain circumstances.

CO2 is more easily retained in cool or cold wine. If the wine is bottled cool or cold and then stored in a warm environment, the fluid can outgas and put enough pressure on the cork to pop it out.

Carbonation will also fade over time in the bottle with a cork closure, but it takes far longer than in a carboy under airlock.

The main reason not to have gassy wine is that is can be a huge impediment to clearing, even if a clearing agent is used.

Carbonation will also fade over time in the bottle with a cork closure, but it takes far longer than in a carboy under airlock.

Why does carbonation fade less quickly in a bottle vs. carboy. Not doubting you, just want to learn.

Why does carbonation fade less quickly in a bottle vs. carboy. Not doubting you, just want to learn.

Because when in a bottle the gas has to get out thru a cork. When in the carboy with airlock, you just get the airlock bubbling. Arne.

Thanks everyone.My hubby threw the question out to me last night and I honestly had no response ( I think he does that on purpose ;) )

well, husbands are like that...glad I do not have one...lol
co2 is a bugger for sure...I like my wine very clear, so I degass as much as i can.

Latest posts

Back