Primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron22

Reaction score
I want to start my secound batch of wine. I am going to try a Pumpkin this time around.
I am going to be out of town for the next 2 weeks.
My question is would it be bad if I started it now? It would be about 1.5 gallons in a 2 gallon plastic pail. I could put an airlock on it if that would help.
So how bad would it be to let it fermate to dry in the primary?
I know patience is part of wine making .

can you post the recipe for us?

I suppose if it was not full of pulp, you could get it going and leave it two weeks under airlock.. you'd also need to put towels around it just in case of a vigorous fermentation.. you don't want to come back to pumpkin painted walls and floors..

I think Luc made pumpkin wine once and ended up giving it away as he wasn't keen on the flavour.. Have you tried pumpkin wine?

Allie

4 lbs grated pumpkin flesh
2 1/2 lbs fsugar
7 pts water
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/4 tsp tannin
2 1/4 tsp acid blend

Jack Keller list 5 lbs pumpkin and more sugar. I have also seen up to 10 lbs pumpkin per gallon of wine.
So I was going to use 6 lbs pumpkin and add sugar to get it between 1.080 & 1.090
I was also going to add 2 cinnamon stick and some ginger.

I will be around for the first 2 days to stir it twice a day. My wife will be around to make sure it does not explode over the wall. But she will not stir it twice a day.

I was told to at least DOUBLE the fruit for all Jack teller's recepies...but i'm no expert...

I will be around for the first 2 days to stir it twice a day. My wife will be around to make sure it does not explode over the wall. But she will not stir it twice a day.

If it was me, I'd grate all the pumpkin and your other ingredients and stick it all in the freezer .. put it in the primary when you get back, it'll be nice and quick to start because you have it all prepared. I think 1.080 is a good number for SG on these types of wines.

Allie

I would double the pumpkin and only add sugar to 1.085.
DO NOT add sugar blindly.
I would wait till you get back as U need to punch the pumpkin down

Latest posts

Back