Primary Size

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montyfox

Reaction score
I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question, but does it matter what size of primary you use when making smaller batches of wine? Currently I only own the 7.9 gallon primary that came with my equipment purchase. I'd like to have a go at making a gallon of the Honey wine that George has listed. Since this is just the primary, is there any reason to go with a smaller bucket?

Monty you can use it if you have everything else you need. You could also find a food grade plastic bucket about 2 gallons. Donut shops and othr places are sometimes a good source. George also carries smaller primary buckets.

Monty/ Appleman,
I think it was Masta or Wade who posted this a while backbut it makes sense to me.
When making a six gallon kit, about 150 cubic feet of CO2 is produced. I believe that most of that is duringprimary so you should be able to use your big bucket. That said, you probably will worry about O2 if you don't keep the head space smaller for secondary.

You can use any size primary bucket as long as its food grade and will not over flow. Just make sure to transfer it on time with all that head space.

GOOD MORNING,thats correct a larger vessle in primary is quite OK,but when transferring to stage 2 try to fit the volume your producting

Latest posts

Back