Primary Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dont worry about what you get in there on first racking as long as you
get all the juice. I would get the spigot as it makes life so much
easier and only costs like $ 2.50. Id get the one that swivels the
spout out of the way.

smurfe said:
My boo boo I always seem to do is when I clean and sanitize the primary prior to adding the juice, I forget to close the spigot and you know the rest. I have done it more than once.
smiley18.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif
At least you're consistent!
smiley36.gif

I just put spickots in all my primarys two weeks ago, I hesitated for a long time cause I drilled too large a hole in one last year and its a 8 gallon parts pail now, but if you drill the correct size hole it works just fine!!
smiley20.gif

I like the spigot, too. It makes the first racking quick and easy.

The grommet for the airlock, however, is useless. As soon as I tried to push the airlock into it, the grommet pushed through and went straight to the bottom.

Before the next batch I will drill that hole out to cork size.

I think I lost something here. Am I correct in the reading that you place your primary bucket high enough, so as to place the carboy directly underneath the spigot for transferring?! Or are you placing a tube on the end of the spigot and into the carboy, tilting the bucket when it gets close to the bottom?
smiley5.gif

I guess you could do it either way. As for the rubber grommet, it
leaked as soon as I bought it on both primaries. I redrilled and fitted
with 1" drilled rubber bungs to use the airlocks with them.

jsmahoney said:
I think I lost something here. Am I correct in the reading that you place your primary bucket high enough, so as to place the carboy directly underneath the spigot for transferring?! Or are you placing a tube on the end of the spigot and into the carboy, tilting the bucket when it gets close to the bottom?
smiley5.gif

The Primary is on the counter (my winery is a guest bathroom - no basment here). I use the 1/2 inch tubing to prevent splashing. I'd hate to try to hit the little opening in the secondary from 6 - 8" up.
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back