Primary overflowed...ooops

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueflint

Reaction score
Yup, primary overflowed. I am sure many of you have seen this before. I took my typical 7.9 gallon primary, sanitized it, poured in 6 gallons of Petite Sirah Chilean juice, added 3 pounds of fruit and 2 ounces of oak, pitched yeast, put cover on lightly and let it go. Stirred it several times a day. Forty eight hours later, it was foaming enough, it overflowed! Not horribly, just a couple ounces but enough to convince me I need a larger primary for my reds (never have this problem with whites). Temp in the primary was a constant upper 60's (cool for a red) and not violent. So...guess it is time to visit Home Depot and get a 10 gallon Brute for future primary use. So anyway, another lesson learned. No major disaster. Oh, I pulled out a gallon and put it is a small container until it gets down to 1.020, then I will be transferring them off into a carboy.

-Tony

So is this generally more common with reds?

I am not sure but my whites never get too crazy, I never get close to the lid with them but I have been near over flow several times with the reds and a few did actually dribble over a little. Could be more the yeast selection??? This particular batch was with RC212. I also had some spill over with a Cabernet with Pasteur Red. On my whites, I have used several yeasts, they foam up some but not nearly as much as with the whites.

Yes, when I add nutrient, I also see some foam up...WOW.

-Tony

Latest posts

Back