Primary Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevelaz

Reaction score
Hi everyone, im new to wine making and this will be my second year at this. Im doing a Chilean Merlot soon. My question right now is what to use for primary fermentation this time. Last year i only did a 6 gallon batch but this year im getting 3, 6 gallon buckets, 18 gallons.

My initial idea for primary was to use a 15 gallon demijohn( that was given to me to use) for 12 gallons and a 7.9 gallon bucket that i already have for the other 6 gallon bucket. After the primary i am going to use the demijohn and a 3 gallon better bottle that i have.

I was thinking maybe the demijohn is not good for the primary due to the narrow opening. And also that maybe id be better off doing the primary in one full batch instead of splitting it up.

I cannot find any primary pail other than 20 gallon or 32 gallon. I was going to get the brute cans from home depot. I tested it out using 2 that i have for garbage and the 20 gallon is way to small since the liquid goes pretty much up to the top. The 32 seems to big as the liquid is about 10 or 11 inches below the top, but then again that shouldn't matter since air contact is not a factor during primary fermentation.. Any comments would be appreciated...

Should I stick with my original plan and split it up using the demijohn and bucket, or do it in one batch using the 32 gallon. Thanks...

Actually the 32 gallon brute is seems to be just the right size. I would not worry about 10-11 inches. Even if it is less than half full, it would work fine. During primary fermentation you are actively producing a lot of CO2 so the wine is protected enough. The amount of head space in your primary makes no difference.

I will second on the brute. I have 4 32 gal brutes. Got them at home depot. Just make sure to get the food grade, white and gray are food grade not sure about other colors. During primary furmentation you need to stir the juice every day, till fermentation is done oxygen is your friend. Remember to check the Ph, Sg, Ta and I would adjust accordingly. If nothing has been added to the juice think about yeast energizer, pectin enzyme, tanin for a start. Good luck:db

Anyone ever use the Continental Huskee Containers? They look pretty much same as Brute and are food grade. The new brute containers have venting channels all around the inside, supposed to make bag come out easier. Probably not a big deal but looks like it will be a bit harder to clean. Cannot find an older brute with the smooth sides, However, i did find a 32 gal huskee at a restaurant supply house that looks just like the brute and has smooth sides. Thanks.

http://cleaningproducts.continental...huskee-accessories-3/huskee-round-receptacles

If it's food grade use it. If they seem somewhat sturdy they are fine. I bought brutes because they were available. Just going to make lots of wine in them.:ib

Ok. Thanks! Another thing. I was planning on doing my primary (18 gallons) in my home office since i can regulate the temp to stay at 70 or so easily. Im starting to wonder if thats a good idea. Will the smell from the primary overpower the house or at least the floor that room is on? Dont want the wife to get peaved...lol

Ok. Thanks! Another thing. I was planning on doing my primary (18 gallons) in my home office since i can regulate the temp to stay at 70 or so easily. Im starting to wonder if thats a good idea. Will the smell from the primary overpower the house or at least the floor that room is on? Dont want the wife to get peaved...lol

I put my primary fermentor in the coat closet which is off the kitchen. My kitchen smelled like Shiraz grapes and a slightly off smell all day long. I believe the slightly off smell was the CO2 combined with the grapes. Once the heavy fermenting slowed, the off smell went away. (it wasn't that strong, but definitely noticeable.)

ok. Im rethinking this to maybe moving it to garage for primary. i do have a furnace in the garage, but the garage is not fully insulated yet so may be expensive to keep it up to 70 degrees for 2 weeks... I do have an attached shed to my garage i can probably regulate the heat in there pretty easily...

Back