Other Primary fermenter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use this 7 gallon stainless steel with this immersion chiller...love it.

Are you making kits? If so, have you ever experienced any issues with a highly active fermentation pushing must out through the airlock? Do you agree with, or have you experienced any of the complaints listed in the reviews on this site?: https://morewinemaking.com/products/brew-bucket-stainless-steel-fermenter.html

I do like the temp. control option as we get some pretty good temperature swings depending on the season.

Last edited:
Ran my first kit through it, no issues at all. Its 7 gallons to the brim, so a 5 or even 6 gallon kit is no problem.

Here's the first 5 listed on the page you sent:
1. No problem with the gasket at all. I have done about 10 fermentations in it, ciders and mead.
2.The QC problem sounds like an issue with the shipper, not SSB.
3. Cleaning - you have to follow the cleaning instructions exactly, do not deviate and use a different cleaning product.
4. If the guy checked the SSB website, they have a fermenter with a trub dump, that should have been an easy solution.
5. The fermenter lid doesn't come pre-drilled for a thermowell, but does for the small stopper. The lid that comes with the chiller has a thermowell.

I have had zero issues, is a good investment for the money and you're not planing on opening a winery with it. It is designed for the casual home user. Take care of it, don't use metal stirrers, keep it sanitized and clean it good after every use, and it should last a long time. I like mine, and am ordering a second one for a secondary, and a 14 gallon one with the built in chiller.

PS - after reading all the reviews, looks like 98% approve and like it.

Last edited:
Well here is a SS pot with a spigot: http://www.homebrewing.org/32-Quart...-Steel-Brew-Pot-W-lid-Ball-Valve-_p_3137.html
A bit pricey though, and, it would still need to be modded.
Personally, I prefer a racking cane for racking off the primary, due to the large quantity of lees.

I built a Rube Goldberg contraption for racking. It is a vacuum system that creates a vacuum in the glass secondary which sucks the must out of my fermenter. I don't use the valve at the bottom, my way is faster, and I don't have to lift anything. The fermenters with the trub dump are more for beer brewing, but what the hell, ain't nothin' says you can't do wine in them!

I built a Rube Goldberg contraption for racking. It is a vacuum system that creates a vacuum in the glass secondary which sucks the must out of my fermenter. I don't use the valve at the bottom, my way is faster, and I don't have to lift anything. The fermenters with the trub dump are more for beer brewing, but what the hell, ain't nothin' says you can't do wine in them!

I usually vacuum transfer as well. But by the time bottling comes around, sediment shouldn't be an issue. This is where I could see a bottling bucket, or a nicer fermenter with a spigot being quite useful.

Last edited:
Yes, bottling I use a racking cane with a Ferrari. The nice thing about the conical is the sediment goes to the bottom, and if you stay out of the cone, you pretty much get a sediment -free transfer. I always ferment an extra 1/2 to 1 gallon just for that purpose, and I save the leftover for topping off once it settles.

Latest posts

Back