Other Primary fermenter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian55

Senior Wino
Reaction score
I'm about to order my third plastic bucket primary fermenter. Before I do, does anyone use anything other than the basic bucket available everywhere? If so, what, and do you find it's any better?

554939.jpg

Price and durability. That ten gallon can will run you about $15, where a 7 gallon 'fermenter' will probably cost $20 or more. The larger capacity gives you options, should you want to try batches of fresh grapes or other fresh fruit. Or, spend a couple bucks more and get the 20 gallon version.

Hi Brian; what advantage do you see with this Speidel fermenter? I can recall problems being reported with the bottom spigots on the "better bottle" brand fermenter/carboys.
I am quite happy with plastic fermenters that have tight fitting lids that can be used one fermentation is well underway.
One of the best aids that I have is a hydraulic lift cart to lift primary fermenters for racking to carboys.
http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-60730.html

Cheers;

Bar

Hi Brian; what advantage do you see with this Speidel fermenter? I can recall problems being reported with the bottom spigots on the "better bottle" brand fermenter/carboys.
I am quite happy with plastic fermenters that have tight fitting lids that can be used one fermentation is well underway.
One of the best aids that I have is a hydraulic lift cart to lift primary fermenters for racking to carboys.
http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-60730.html

Cheers;

Bar

No major advantage really, other than it not becoming another "yard waste" bucket in 6 months to a year like all my other cheapo bucket fermenters. This isn't a "better bottle" product, it seems to be a bit higher quality than that. Though the reviews clearly state that the included plastic spigot isn't up to the task, and that the steel upgrade is well worth it. I'd really prefer an all stainless primary, purpose built for small batch wine making, but there doesn't seem to be anything available as of yet. The only added benefit I see other than it not being re-purposed as quickly as cheap buckets is that it could also double as a bottle bucket.

FYI I was reading some use old stainless steel beer kegs as primary fermenters, they are 15.5 gallons but you have to cut the top off

I don't understand the comment about plastic primary buckets becoming yard waste in 6 months. I'm still using the first one I ever bought when I started 4 years ago. I had to replace the lid that cracked from popping it on and off but the bucket is still going strong.

I don't understand the comment about plastic primary buckets becoming yard waste in 6 months. I'm still using the first one I ever bought when I started 4 years ago. I had to replace the lid that cracked from popping it on and off but the bucket is still going strong.

I'm still using my original 7.9 gallon fermenter as well. I also have 2 20gal Brutes I use for larger batches.

If you really, really want stainless, you could go with one of these:

https://morewinemaking.com/products...allon-1.html?gclid=CIvdgqqStssCFYwlgQodCaYJzQ

Or one of these (though its a little small, IMHO):

https://morewinemaking.com/products/ss-brewtech-brew-bucket-stainless-steel-fermenter.html?site_id=8

They develop a lot of small scratches from stirring with a drill mounted attachment, so I replace them when they get excessive, and as you pointed out, the lids tend to crack after a while. I still use them after I replace them with newer buckets, just not for wine. They're still great for doing yard work.

I'm still using my original 7.9 gallon fermenter as well. I also have 2 20gal Brutes I use for larger batches.

If you really, really want stainless, you could go with one of these:

https://morewinemaking.com/products...allon-1.html?gclid=CIvdgqqStssCFYwlgQodCaYJzQ

Or one of these (though its a little small, IMHO):

https://morewinemaking.com/products/ss-brewtech-brew-bucket-stainless-steel-fermenter.html?site_id=8

The fusti is too big and not really intended to be a fermenter.

I'd considered the brew bucket, but the reviews weren't very favorable, and as you pointed out the size could be an issue with a busy ferment. Something like it, but designed with wine kits in mind, and with the bugs worked out. I know I'm being a bit picky, but I want it all and I want it now... :ft

No major advantage really, other than it not becoming another "yard waste" bucket in 6 months to a year like all my other cheapo bucket fermenters. This isn't a "better bottle" product, it seems to be a bit higher quality than that. Though the reviews clearly state that the included plastic spigot isn't up to the task, and that the steel upgrade is well worth it. I'd really prefer an all stainless primary, purpose built for small batch wine making, but there doesn't seem to be anything available as of yet. The only added benefit I see other than it not being re-purposed as quickly as cheap buckets is that it could also double as a bottle bucket.

I'm with you on the stainless steel. Seems to me that a simple 7 gallon manageable (handles) vessel, no spigots or other fancy attachments, plain lid like a saucepan has, would be a boon for some manufacturer. Something on the order of an extended "stock pot"!! Till then my preference is still the 6 gal plastic bucket my juice comes in...:b
And somewhat cheaper than those mentioned above!

Last edited:
I'm with you on the stainless steel. Seems to me that a simple 7 gallon manageable (handles) vessel, no spigots or other fancy attachments, plain lid like a saucepan has, would be a boon for some manufacturer. Something on the order of an extended "stock pot"!! Till then my preference is still the 6 gal plastic bucket my juice comes in...:b
And somewhat cheaper than those mentioned above!

Handles would be an important factor, although I'd like the option of a spigot for ease of transfer and bottling, plus a lid that could be locked down and sealed under airlock after fermentation has slowed down.

Back