PRIMARY FERMENTER FOR BLACKBERRY Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNFISHRMAN

Reaction score
What can I use for a primary fermenter for a 6 gallon batch of blackberry wine? With the recipe I have I would need room for 6 gallons of water, 24lbs of berries, 13 1/2 lbs of sugar and other ingredients. I know that my primary is not big enough to hold all that. So what can use???? Thanks for any help. Lynn

LD Carlson sells a 10 gallon primary fermenter with lid which would be perfect for this and I am sure George could get one for you if he doesn't already have them instock.

Thanks for the insight. I already have a 7.9 gallon, I just don't think it will hold everything. Thanks Again, I will check with George and see if he can get the 10 gallon.

Can you split it between 2 primaries and run two batches
together? Then you do two different treatments on the same
ingredient, maybe let one ferment to dry and the other off dry, or
later on oak one and not the other.

Peter had the idea that I would try, if you have the extra primary.

FYI, I grew up in Eastern KY and saw lot's of concerts in Johnson City. Oh the memories
smiley9.gif

I'm curious as to why a 6 gallon batch of wine would call for 6 gallons of water? Most recipes that I see do not give a specific amount of water only that you need enough water to fill the primary to the desired amount. I would double check and make sure that 6 gallons of water is necessary.

Thanks for the insight on using two primaries. Right now primaries are full except for one more 7.9 gallon, which like I said I believe that it would not hold everything. Vaughn, Six gallons of water is what two of the recipes that I have call for. In the primary stage it is a larger quanity. But, once fruit pulp and the lees are gone it should end up with a 6 to 6 1/2 gallon batch ( might have a little more if so that is what a gallon jug is for). Some Blackberry recipes call for only 7pts of water per gallon but that is still 7/8 ths of a gallon which ends up 5.25 gallons. I still can't see getting 20lbs of berries 13 1/2 pound of sugar and 5.25 gallons of water in a 7.9 gallon primary. Thanks for the ideas.

Do you have any stainless steel pots you can use ? I use a 2 gallon & a 4 gallon from cooking to fermenting. Just a suggestion.

Locally, I have gone to restraunt supply stores and they have 10, 12, 15 gall buckets that are food grade. They don't always have lids though. They are pretty cheap.

(though I have always bought my buckets and lids through brew supply stores) They are about the same price and support those who support us. (but if u can't find what you need sometimes you have to get off the path a little)

Latest posts

Back