Mosti Mondiale Primary Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have my second wine kit in the primary fermentation stage. The first kit I made was a Mosti Cab Souv and during primary there was a thick layer of foam on top of the wine every day when I would go to stir. The second kit I now have in primary is a Mosti White Zin, however there was a thick layer of foam after day one and each day since there is no layer of foam only small bubbles (CO2) as if boiling. I'm assuming this is due to some difference in the grape/juice. Can anyone explain the cause of the difference? I'm a new winemaker and am curious.

Thanks in advance.

Heavier reds have more solids in them than the light reds or whites. This contributes towards heavier foam. Also the yeast used is usually different for the heavy ones and the light ones. They behave differently from each other. You can learn to spot some of the different yeasts used by the amount and behavior of the fermentation as you gain experience. All is well.

Appleman is right and 1 of the most experienced winemakers on this forum. I must say that most kits do come with the same yeast though and that is typically Lalvin 1118 as its probably the most likely to ferment all the way down and has a good temp tolerance o the manufactures use it to guarantee that their product does what its supposed to do.

Wade, the various kit directions all seem to agree that fermentation should be 65 to 75 F, but what is the temp tolerance of, e.g., the EC-1118 yeast (since all of my kits seem to have used this one)? How low or high can fermentation tempbe and still be successfull?

Lalvin claims that 1118's temp range is 45*- 95* but I dont think I would take it that low IMO. Lower temps are better for fruit and white wines to ferment at.

I read an interesting article in this months WineMaker Magazine newsletter that states that Prise de Mousse, EC1118, Davis 796 or Premier Cuvee are all the same yeast. Just called by different names so different companies can market them.

Most wine kit manufactures claim that 70-76 is the best temperature for wine kits.

I ferment my wines in my basement. It generally is about 68 deg F. I found that if I wrap some towels around the bucket or carboy (secondary) that the temperature of the wine will stabilize around 72-73 deg F after about 24 hours until fermentation is complete. The fermentation process seems to generate a little heat on its own and keeps things moving nicely.

John

I have nothing to add as Appleman aptly answered your question. I have also noticed that when degassing, white wines are full of CO2 and tend to result in a volcano if stirred at first too rapidly. I presume this is due to the fact that red wines, with all those additional goodies, undergo a much more robust fermentation and blow off more CO2 during fermentation.

By the way George, do those heating belts work very well. My wine room is now at around 68 and I'm waiting for a CC LE Rosso Fortissimo kit to finish fermentation (the kit is on Day 21 and there are still bubbles on the surface).

DFW, I have had 2 belts for 2 1/2 years now and even use them on glass with no problems and they do the job well.

I suppose I'll have to also get a belt when I'm next at George's shop as the temperature in my wine room has fallen to 65 F.

Latest posts

Back