Price For Muscadine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I would have known you did not have any wine yeast I could have sent you some of that too. I would use at least 2 packets of the yeast. Better would be to try and make a starter for them. Will you be crushing and adding kmeta to the must before adding the yeast 24hrs later? I do not think bread yeast is resistant to the kmeta as compared to true wine yeast.

Sugar - Do not add more than the 12lbs. This amount will give you a residual sweetness. If you cut it back to 10lbs it will be more of a semi sweet.

Look up my video on youtube. Listed as "Todd's White muscadine wine" That will show you how I pretty much do it now.

Now a days I will ferment to dry and then back sweeten and use true wine yeast. This way I have way more control over the process.

If I would have known you did not have any wine yeast I could have sent you some of that too. I would use at least 2 packets of the yeast. Better would be to try and make a starter for them. Will you be crushing and adding kmeta to the must before adding the yeast 24hrs later? I do not think bread yeast is resistant to the kmeta as compared to true wine yeast.

Sugar - Do not add more than the 12lbs. This amount will give you a residual sweetness. If you cut it back to 10lbs it will be more of a semi sweet.

Look up my video on youtube. Listed as "Todd's White muscadine wine" That will show you how I pretty much do it now.

I have some wine yeast (i think). I bought so many supplies, I forgot what I have. But the wine store is only down the road from my job.

I wasn't going to add any kmeta? Is that OK? I plan on following your recipe to the T.

When you say "make a starter for them", what does that mean exactly?

I have copied and pasted and printed out your recipe. I was just confused on how many packs of bread yeast to use per 5 gallon bucket.

I found your link Todd.

Thanks
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RndghZEW5GI[/ame]

Do not be dead set on following that recipe to the T as I have made improvements to it. That was when I was 1st starting out and have learned to make it much better now. I will give you some tips to make it better without doing to much more to it.

1st - if you have access to wine yeast use it INSTEAD of the bread yeast. It does not really matter with strain because these muscadines have the right level of acid in them and you will be diluting with water anyway.
2nd - Using wine yeast will allow the juice to ferment until it is dry. This is good because you can back sweeten to what you like. With bread yeast you do not know what you will end up with.
3rd - I would only add 10 lbs of sugar as the 12lbs would give you a very high alcohol wine. But that is up to you.
4th - Adding 1/4 tsp of potassium metasulphite to every 5 gallons of crushed grapes, and letting it sit in your fermenter for 24hrs, will kill all the bacteria and wild yeast on the grapes. That way when you add the your yeast you know what is actually fermenting it.
5th - If you have pectic enzyme use it after you crush the grapes. This will help with clearing of your wine later on.

Making a starter is so that you have a larger number of yeast to start the fermentation. I used 1 pack of yeast and put it in 2 liters of Apple juice and let it go for 3 days. I used an empty 2 liter soda bottle for this with the cap screwed on only slightly. Then when I was ready to add the yeast I added the entire volume to the crushed grapes. This gets the ferment going really fast.

LAgreeneyes.

There are about two dozen varieties of commercial muscadine, between reds, bronzes, and blacks. I prefer blacks and have 9 varieties; plus six varieties of reds planted. None of them will give you anywheres near the muscadine flavor of a wild muscadine. Luckily I have tons of wild musc. vines in my woods to augment the comm. varieties. I did notice this year that I got more musc. flavor out of the comm. vines by fertilizing every two weeks in the spring.
Ison's Nursery in Georgia specialize in muscadine & have developed new varieties - see isons.com

Latest posts

Back