RJ Spagnols Premier Cru Barolo Age and Kit Quality?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slopenutz

Reaction score
I picked up a Premier Cru Barolo 23L pail at a local shop today. I didn't realize it at the time but the date code is 3/18/08. Should I be concerned about this?

Also, I was wondering about the quality of this kit. I have found VERY limited info about the Premier CRU line.

BTW...I paid $95 for it...just wondering if it was a mistake given the age of the kit.

You should get some fresh yeast, but other than that it should be fine. As long as the kit was stored under temperature controlled conditions it should not be a problem.

I don't know about the quality of the kit, as I do mostly MM kits, but I am planning a lot more RJS and CC kits in 2010.

$95 is about right, and while I have not done any Premiere Cru kits, the quality is supposed to be between a Cellar Classic and Cru Select, so I would imagine that it's a 16L kit with the water added for you. That is a little old, and probably should have been discounted due to age. Check the yeast package inside, but it should most likely have a best before of 2010, so the yeast would be okay. If not, an extra package of EC-1118 yeast will certainly not hurt it. EC-1118 is the yeast that comes with this kit.

Dean, you are correct on the Premier Cru's. The only reason it is a 23 liter kit is that RJ has added the water for you. It is not the same as the Mosti All Juice, which is why I do not carry that line from RJ.

The big issue on date codes is oxidation. The kits are well protected, but plastic does breath and at 18 months, the SO2 protection starts dropping resulting in brown juice and mold. I would never purchase a kit more that 18 months old.

I bought five "old" kits and am in the process of fermenting them. I bought the first two for $65 and the other three for $40 each. If you're spending nearly $100 then I'd definitely buy fresh. Only buy the old kits if you're getting a great deal -- and then beware!!!

Wayne

Well, I called the shop I purchased the kit from and they are willing to return it for a newer kit. Thanks for all of the advice and feedback.

Well, I was able to trade my old kit even up for a new CC winery series Cab Sauv. I am looking forward to starting it this weekend.

Latest posts

Back