WineXpert premature transferitis

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wray

Reaction score
I just got an allinone pump and was so excited that i transfered a WE kit off its lees prior to stabelising.WE kits are supposed to have sediment stirred back in when adding k-meta,sorbate &fining agents.Think I will have any problems w/clarifying?I went ahead and added all of above.

In short, the fining agents benefit from sediment in that it allows them begin more vigorously and form larger particles, which can easly fall out of solution. Fining may stall without suitable sediment. Here's a statement from WE:

The clearing or fining agents used in Winexpert's wine kits, whether chitosan or isinglass, both act more efficiently in clearing wine when they have a base of sediment to begin with. The sediment acts as a trigger mechanism that sets the finings into action, clearing out the mix of proteins, pigments, phenolics, dead yeast, etc.

Both the fining agents and the particles they need to clear from the wine have either a positive or a negative charge. A negatively charged fining agent like bentonite will serve to bring together those particles having a positive charge, while positively charged fining agents like chitosan or isinglass will attract negatively charged particles. This process allows for the molecular weight structures of the particles to become larger: smaller particles join together to become larger particles, which in turn fall to the bottom of the carboy when their mass becomes great enough.

If the fining agents do not 'find' enough particles in the wine must that they can join together into larger particles, the clearing process may stall: there will not be enough small particles present to conglomerate into the larger particles which will fall out. Small particles on their own will remain suspended in the must, meaning that the fining's efficiency is reduced. In other words, the wine won’t clear as well or as quickly.

This is why you must thoroughly stir the sediment when adding package #4, as it effectively mixes the fining agents and the particles together to start the clearing process. Resist the urge to transfer or rack the wine. Stirring up the sediment will facilitate the clearing process – not hinder it.

I believe, however, that you should be fine although clearing could take considerably longer.

Last edited:
thanks. If I have problems I may use superkleer at a later time

Was there any visible sediment left in your wine after racking? Was it well stirred after clearing agents were added? If so, you'll likely be just fine.

Yes,the wine is still cloudy, and I stirred it well. The sediment that was left in the carboy looked to be mostly bentonite.

You will be fine. If there is visible sediment, then it will clear even if a bit slower. Like you say, use some SuperKleer if needed after. Just don't rush it and it will clear.

I do it this way all the time and have never had any problems with clearing. I left it sit for 3 weeks after adding clarifiers and then rack again.

cheers

Latest posts

Back