Potato Wine add ins?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MurphyTexas

Just Sippin
Reaction score
Will be starting potato wine next week and wondering what fruits might I add to the primary to give it some interesting flavor?

With Thanksgiving upon us; potatoes are really on sale. I have 25 pounds of Yukon Golds that I will be turning into mashed potatoes etc. Usually I cook the potatoes and discard the cooking water. I found Tom's Potato Wine recipe and it says to save the cooking water into a primary and discard the potatoes. A bell went off in my head (or is someone at the door?) So I will be making mashed potatoes and potato wine this Thanksgiving.

Any thoughts regarding primary add ins?

If nothing else, I could always add lemon juice for peeing potato wine. Candy canes and make spud schnapps wine.

Murphy did you ever decide on anything? I know several people who make plain potato wine with a final ACV in the range of where they tend to make most of their wines--and they use it to top up their carboys after racking. It is usually a nice neutral wine, actually enjoyable alone, but will adapt to any fruit-herb-spice that you desire.

...Sara

Latest posts

Back