Pear Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well my pear harvest did not go well. Unfortunately I picked these pears a little too early and they did not ripen before they started to spoil. It might have to be a project for next year.

@alexsnow555 Many of us ferment in an open food grade bucket with a thin towel over it to keep out bugs and dust. Yeast need oxygen during the initial ferment.

Do you have a hydrometer? That is the only accurate way to determine if the fermentation happened and is complete.

If it were me, I would use a hydrometer to measure the s.g. If the fermentation isn't complete, I would try putting the must into a bucket covered by a towel, and maybe even add some commercial wine yeast like Lalvin EC 1118. Then I would stir the must and also take the s.g. every day.

When the hydrometer shows the s.g. is below 1.010, THEN I would rack the must to a glass jar or carboy and add an airlock. That's when you need to start worrying about oxygen exposure, so I would make sure the jar is filled almost to the top before adding the airlock. The fermentation should finish and then the wine starts offgassing the CO2, which is a byproduct of the yeast.

Unless the wine tastes spoiled, it might just need time.

You can check out the beginner wine making forums here for info on equipment and techniques. Also, the country wine making forum has a lot of information on wine from non-grape fruits.

Good luck!

I love the Bartlett pear wine we made two years ago. I found it needed some backsweetening to bring out the flavor and a little acid blend provided a bit of crispness. We are planning to start another 5 gallons using 44# of chopped and cleaned pears we have in the freezer. I may try some of it as rose as suggested here mixing with Sangiovese.

I love the Bartlett pear wine we made two years ago. I found it needed some backsweetening to bring out the flavor and a little acid blend provided a bit of crispness. We are planning to start another 5 gallons using 44# of chopped and cleaned pears we have in the freezer. I may try some of it as rose as suggested here mixing with Sangiovese.
That sounds really good!

Back