Potassium metabisulfite or Kmeta for sanitizing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdelli

Reaction score
I attended this years Winemakers Conference in Portland Oregon. Never been to that part of the country and found the area to be beautiful. Unfortunately no matter how much Pinot Noir I drink or make it is still not ever making my favorite list. Especially being a big Cab drinker.... As always the conference was very good and always room to keep learning! At one of the sessions the chemist talked about sanitation. I did not know that kmeta was not a sanitizer! Everything I read always told me it was..... We were told that it only "seals" the area but does not "sanitize" it. Unlike a true sanitizer of the Starsan type or iodine that actually "sanitizes" the areas it comes in contact with! So, I ask him... What should I put in my spray bottle to spray things with that I now am using kmeta? He instructed that if starsan is too foamy for me then the best thing to use is Everclear. So I guess now I will be filling my spray bottles up with Everclear.....

did not know about the Kmeta ?

Don't use everclear in a plastic spray bottle as it will melt plastic.

Hmmm.... Might melt my siphon pump for racking then too..... Looks like I will be using Starsan...

Hmmm.... Might melt my siphon pump for racking then too..... Looks like I will be using Starsan...

Yes it will melt that also - I would ask other professionals on this site about Kmeta for sanitizing

It has been my understanding that it is the SO2 gas of K-meta that can sanitize (I use Na-Meta in my gas box).

If Starsan foams too much, you can use Saniclean.

I use "one step".

I wouldn't put Everclear in a plastic bottle either. It's getting hard to find as well, since a lot of states have banned the sale of it.

HMMMMM!!! Potassium Metabisulfite (K-meta/Campden) has been sold as and used as an agent to ,,, DESTROY wild molds and bacteria,,, (http://www.eckraus.com/8-oz-potassium-metabisulfite.html) in the wine/beer making industry for a long time. I'm quite sure that everyone here has used it for that purpose. Having used it under that pretense in my own basement "laboratory", I am pleased to say that I have suffered no obvious effects of wild molds or bacteria in my endeavors. So I can surmise that K-meta when used according to instruction does work to eliminate the nasties. Either that or I'm luckier than I ever knew!!

I attended this years Winemakers Conference in Portland Oregon. At one of the sessions the chemist talked about sanitation. I did not know that kmeta was not a sanitizer! ..

Can I ask who was the chemist that put on this seminar ?
Maybe we can find more information then -

Bob Peak from Winemaker Magazine.

I guess I'm the oddball here. Though I'm new at this, I've been using StarSan from day one to sanitize my equipment. I keep a couple gallon jugs full and fill my spray bottle as needed.

Maybe that is what he meant by it is not a true sanitizer... But seals them off.

I think technically, he is correct per US regulations. You cannot call something a sanitizer without testing to those standards, and since a. Company cannot know how you are mixing it, they cannot say it really is sanitizing.

Latest posts

Back