Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul, great job on the roof. Looks super!

How old is the house? I am guessing 1930's. I did some home design work in one of my post career jobs and I really appreciate good brickwork because it is getting so hard to find. Your home is a tour de force of the craft. I see arches, corbels, quoins, wing walls, dentil, stacked halves, either a soldier or sailor course above the second floor and a great looking running bond. It would be very difficult to find such artisans today that could do this work, not to mention the cost. Beautiful house!

Thank you, Rocky. I had to look up half those architectural terms! You continue to impress.

Yes, I love this house. We got lucky on finding it. Good guess on the date -- it is from 1929 or 1930. (Some documents say one, some say the other.)

It originally had a cedar roof, but, with the Mediterranean Revival architecture, I always felt it cried out for a clay-tile roof. I decided to do it myself this summer (because it would have been PROHIBITIVELY expen$ive otherwise).

Unfortunately, that cedar roof was still there, along with two asphalt roofs, so the tear-off was challenging. Here are some progress pix of the rear of the house:

DSCN0741.jpg

plywoodback.jpg

graceback.jpg

partial back.jpg

rearroof.jpg

Love the roof. I never see those around here but would love to put one on my house.
Trouble is I live in Maine and not sure how they take cold and snow.

With that roof pitch, that had to be very difficult. Really impressive.

Thanks. The pitch was between 7 and 8/12. It really wasn't that bad to walk on, but, honestly, I wouldn't want it to have been any steeper!

Impressive job. I'm guessing you won't have to worry about re-roofing again,
Mike

Thanks, Mike. Yeah, I should be long dead when that roof gets replaced! :ts

Love the roof. I never see those around here but would love to put one on my house.
Trouble is I live in Maine and not sure how they take cold and snow.

Thanks for the warm words.
I live in Milwaukee. Maybe not quite as bad weather as you, but right up there. They take cold and snow just fine. There are different grades of clay tile; ASTM Grade 1 has very low porosity, so freeze/thaw is not a problem.

You are right, Mike, that roof will last forever.
Thanks for backing me up, Rocky!

Question for you SG..

Are those tiles strong enough for you to walk on?

I have done some roofing in my day (asphalt and cedar) and as you work from bottom to top, you can simply walk on the shingles aready layed down. With the shape of the tiles, and given that they are made of clay, I just wondered.

Question for you SG..

Are those tiles strong enough for you to walk on?

I have done some roofing in my day (asphalt and cedar) and as you work from bottom to top, you can simply walk on the shingles aready layed down. With the shape of the tiles, and given that they are made of clay, I just wondered.

Yes, you can walk on them.

The tiles themselves are very strong. If a tile is sitting, for example, on concrete, I can jump up and down on it as hard as I can with no ill effect. However, a potential problem arises when installed because of point loading. Because the tiles are also brittle, they can be broken if they are installed too tightly together, and then walking exerts a lot of force on a small area where two tiles touch. But this is not usual. Although I avoid walking on them to the extent I can, it has not been any problem to do so.

I see them all over Europe and they say one and done. The roof will actually outlast the house it is on. It must be the cost that stops people from using them here

Don't see this every day in town!

WP_20140913_006.jpg

They moved part of a herd from Wheeler Peak near Taos, NM to Cochiti Canyon in the Jemez Mountains about a month ago trying to reintroduce Big Horn Sheep in the Jemez. Looks like this guy is trying to make his way back. He is about half way there. LOL Must have been a very cute Ewe that he left behind.

Passed this guy on the highway driving back from Calgary today. Check out the battle scars.

ram1.jpeg

Great I went back to look for the pic of a thong on her pair
only to find a a pic of a thong on her pear
I really need to pay more attention when reading.

Latest posts

Back