Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grape vine early May 2024 however, deer got to the lower parts and destroyed the early grapes
There are several sprays that work to keep large rodents away from your crops. Some (in the 165 grain hollow point range) produce opportunities for future dinners.

I grew up in Upstate NY, where due to thick brush and short ranges, rodent control was typically done with a different tool, the .30-30 170 grain soft nose. Note that this tool both eliminated large rodents and provided food in an efficient manner.

Can't keep a good man down. A lil brick clearing and recip-saw time tomorrow and this will be out. PLASTIC going back in. So lucky that it just comes through the wall and drains into a basin. The standpipe WILL stand up square with the floor, too, unlike the old one. :rolleyes:

View attachment 113167
Is that the kitchen sink drain? Not going to the septic system???

I dunno why I bothered, it only had the one hole. Yes, it is a different kind of sewer system but not uncommon in rural places of a certain age. The kitchen and laundry gray water does not go to the septic tank. I'm sure glad they did it this way, it made it relatively easy to replace the pipe.

IMG_20240607_105331227_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240607_115352719_HDR.jpg

There are several sprays that work to keep large rodents away from your crops. Some (in the 165 grain hollow point range) produce opportunities for future dinners.

I grew up in Upstate NY, where due to thick brush and short ranges, rodent control was typically done with a different tool, the .30-30 170 grain soft nose. Note that this tool both eliminated large rodents and provided food in an efficient manner.

My large rodents (groundhogs) skedaddle when they see me. Hard to shoot them when they vamoose that quickly. I tried $100s worth of poisons with limited results. Next up is the old farmer's way: a huge bag of bubble gum. Stops 'em up and bye-bye.

I dunno why I bothered, it only had the one hole. Yes, it is a different kind of sewer system but not uncommon in rural places of a certain age. The kitchen and laundry gray water does not go to the septic tank. I'm sure glad they did it this way, it made it relatively easy to replace the pipe.

View attachment 113178

View attachment 113179
Yep, that's what I thought. We have lots of those "gray water systems "in rural areas up here. Trouble is, when you go to sell they make you upgrade your septic system to the latest standards and that's usually a big chunk of change!

Yep, that's what I thought. We have lots of those "gray water systems "in rural areas up here. Trouble is, when you go to sell they make you upgrade your septic system to the latest standards and that's usually a big chunk of change!

Not here. Grandfathered in. The NE is regulation-happy, I know. I know a builder/developer in MA. Solid conservative, but says he loves every new reg because every one they pass makes him more profits. 😄 (And that's what it's all about, often.)

And it is COMPLETELY STUPID to make them run gray water to the septic tank. My fields lasted for 75 years before we had to replace them last year. Why? They lasted because only the nasty stuff goes there. Our kitchen drains to the pasture and our laundry to the middle of the back yard.

My large rodents (groundhogs) skedaddle when they see me. Hard to shoot them when they vamoose that quickly. I tried $100s worth of poisons with limited results. Next up is the old farmer's way: a huge bag of bubble gum. Stops 'em up and bye-bye.
I was actually thinking of the larger rodents, the ones that produce venison. Mrs. WM81 loves seeing the deer up close, but gets really irritated when they eat her roses and other flowers. I offer to spray them for her, with a lead-free alternative (55 lb compound bow), but she declines.

I was actually thinking of the larger rodents, the ones that produce venison. Mrs. WM81 loves seeing the deer up close, but gets really irritated when they eat her roses and other flowers. I offer to spray them for her, with a lead-free alternative (55 lb compound bow), but she declines.
My nephew gave us one of those tiny high-powered flashlights and we tried it out in the yard one night. Wifie flicked it on and illuminated a deer in the beam, in her garden.

"You bastard!" she shouted. "You're the one who has been eating my plants!"

I was just happy her opening phrase wasn't directed at me, for once. 😄

Back