Post a Meme, any Meme! (no politics)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having lived in multiple states, this is too close to the truth. Living in San Diego, if it hits 60, out come the duck down coats and wool caps. I thought it was funny when I was walking around in a tee shirt and shorts. In Hampton Roads, VA, I drove to work one day after a half inch of snow, in an old Ford F100, with no weight in the bed. I get there and the boss gave me h3ll for driving to work in such dangerous conditions. So yea, this meme is very plausible.

Last edited:
Having lived in multiple states, this is too close to the truth. Living in San Diego, if it hits 60, out come the duck down coats and wool caps. I thought is was funny when I was walking around in a tee shirt and shorts. In Hampton Roads, VA, I drove to work one day after a half inch of snow, in an old For F100, with no weight in the bed. I get the and the boss get me h3ll for driving to work in such dangerous conditions. So yea, this meme is very plausible.

I ❤️ the South for that! If there is an inch of snow on the ground here, everything closes! Except the liquor stores... There are certain priorities. They just started using brine solution on the roads here 4-5 years ago. TN brines the width of the highway; Alabama does one lane each on a divided 4-lane. Because I worked in the news biz, I had to go in no matter what. Lots and lots of solid ice driving, and wet snow and car tires create it quickly.

One time working for the university, we had a dusting and it was like zero out, so I just got ready, got in the car and went to work, a 30-minute drive. Got there, nobody was there! They'd closed it. 😄

One time working for the university, we had a dusting and it was like zero out, so I just got ready, got in the car and went to work, a 30-minute drive. Got there, nobody was there! They'd closed it.
😄

@jswordy You mush have been in the military service along with me.

One time working for the university, we had a dusting and it was like zero out, so I just got ready, got in the car and went to work, a 30-minute drive. Got there, nobody was there! They'd closed it. 😄
In central NC, the forecast of snow closes the schools. Growing up in Upstate NY, we'd be unhappy because there was only 6" snow so school was open.

However, to be fair, the situation here is NOT anything like when I grew up. This area doesn't get enough consistent snow for it to be economically feasible to buy the snow removal equipment, and if we did buy it, the crews would not get enough experience to honestly know how to use it.

When it snows I stay home -- that way there's one less idiot on the road. My snow driving skills are decades out of practice and I have enough good sense to know it.

In central NC, the forecast of snow closes the schools. Growing up in Upstate NY, we'd be unhappy because there was only 6" snow so school was open.

However, to be fair, the situation here is NOT anything like when I grew up. This area doesn't get enough consistent snow for it to be economically feasible to buy the snow removal equipment, and if we did buy it, the crews would not get enough experience to honestly know how to use it.
I know just what you mean, Bryan. Having spent 10 years in Rochester, NY, and living on a hilltop where the wind was strong, we had some epic snows. I recall shoveling our driveway and throwing the snow over or head due to the drifts. Snowplows would regularly get stuck on our hill requiring a bulldozer to get them moving. I have to say that the crews were outstanding and would have major arteries cleared by around 10 AM and secondary roads cleared by Noon. I also recall that the snow that they removed and piled in Wegman's parking lot was there until late May! Lastly, we had 11 inches of snow on May 10th one year.

One of the more amusing things about Rochester, the locals would differentiate between "snow" and "lake effect" but I could not see the difference. I could still make a "lake effect man," a "lake effect ball," or build a "lake effect fort!"

have to say that the crews were outstanding and would have major arteries cleared by around 10 AM and secondary roads cleared by Noon.
Our last winter in Rochester NY (1993) we had 6" of fresh show fall overnight, 3 days in a row. The net effect was to slow traffic down, but nothing stopped. Roads were clear by the afternoon commute. Good equipment and crews that know how to use them are key.

One of the more amusing things about Rochester, the locals would differentiate between "snow" and "lake effect" but I could not see the difference. I could still make a "lake effect man," a "lake effect ball," or build a "lake effect fort!"
Regular snow is measured in inches, lake effect snow is measured in feet. :p

My sister and my niece live on the east end of Lake Ontario, just north of Syracuse. The worst of the storms are usually north of them, but sometimes they get one heckuva drop.

I went to school with kids from Osceola NY (just a speck on the map), and they'd laugh about ducking under the power lines when going to the barn in the morning. Yes, the snow could be that deep,

West Leyden (slightly larger speck on the map) had snow blowers instead of plows, as the snow banks would get too tall. In January and February it could be like driving through a tunnel with 12'+ walls of snow on either side of the road.

Back