Post a Meme, any Meme! (no politics)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a fairly short list. The full dictionary is about 3 inchs thick. I have to translate for my family when dealing wit(h) city slickers

Yep. Try living in Tennessee. I was at the barber once and I asked, "What is that liniment for?"

"Itsyascap, boy!" is what I heard.

"What?"

"Itsyascap! Itsyascap!"

"It's your scalp?"

"No, boy!" He made a scratching motion on his head. "Itsyascap!"

Ohhh... itchy scalp!

Only place I ever lived where you "carry your car" to the shop.

Where to turn out the light, you "cut it off" and to turn it on, you "cut it on."

Sick? Then you're "feelin' puny."

And don't get me started on "Bless your heart!"

This is a true story my brother relayed to me last night. He was expecting a call, but when he picked up it was a telemarketer

Brother: Hello​
Telemarketer: Hello, this is Sam and I'm calling about blah blah blah​
Brother: Um, do you realize you called the Louden County morgue?​
Telemarketer: <babbles something and hangs up>​

He's been wanting to do this for years, but doesn't normally answer the phone if he doesn't recognize the number. The response made his night.

Yep. Try living in Tennessee. I was at the barber once and I asked, "What is that liniment for?"

"Itsyascap, boy!" is what I heard.

"What?"

"Itsyascap! Itsyascap!"

"It's your scalp?"

"No, boy!" He made a scratching motion on his head. "Itsyascap!"

Ohhh... itchy scalp!

Only place I ever lived where you "carry your car" to the shop.

Where to turn out the light, you "cut it off" and to turn it on, you "cut it on."

Sick? Then you're "feelin' puny."

And don't get me started on "Bless your heart!"
Tryin' my best to like you but you ain't makin' it easy!!!!:p

Tryin' my best to like you but you ain't makin' it easy!!!!:p

I find the way people talk anywhere to be fascinating.

My native Illinois is characterized by pronunciations like, "Yer gnat goin' bowling with Bab."

I've lived in southern TN / northern AL more than half my life. Before that, I lived in Virginia and made many trips into NC, so about two-thirds of my life has been in the South and Deep South. My NC-born neighbor in VA used to say, "Well, that jasper there, he..." One of my VA bosses was fond of "daggone," spoken dragged out. That daggone thing, daggone it...

In Tidewater, Va., because it is such an old English speaking settlement, you'll hear someone in a Southern accent say, "I dunno nuthin aboot it." Aboot is an old English pronunciation of "about." Hundreds or maybe thousands of years old.

Here, you hear store clerks say, "That's a dollah and thuddy-three cint." Many native TENnesseans will tell you they are from TINnessee.

Once, a friend from South Dakota was visiting and a friend here said, "That was awhalago."

My SD friend just nodded, but later asked me, "What's awhalago?"

I said, laughing, "A while ago."

And I'm not even touching on all the sayings!

Last edited:
I find the way people talk anywhere to be fascinating.

My native Illinois is characterized by pronunciations like, "Yer gnat goin' bowling with Bab."

I've lived in southern TN / northern AL more than half my life. Before that, I lived in Virginia and made many trips into NC, so about two-thirds of my life has been in the South and Deep South. My NC-born neighbor in VA used to say, "Well, that jasper there, he..." One of my VA bosses was fond of "daggone," spoken dragged out. That daggone thing, daggone it...

In Tidewater, Va., because it is such an old English speaking settlement, you'll hear someone in a Southern accent say, "I dunno nuthin aboot it." Aboot is an old English pronunciation of "about." Hundreds or maybe thousands of years old.

Here, you hear store clerks say, "That's a dollah and thuddy-three cint." Many native TENnesseans will tell you they are from TINnessee.

Once, a friend from South Dakota was visiting and a friend here said, "That was awhalago."

My SD friend just nodded, but later asked me, "What's awhalago?"

"I said, laughing, "A while ago."

And I'm not even touching on all the sayings!
Yep, born and bred in NC so I've heard a lot country pronunciations and love to "spoof" our Northern folks who move in such as "puttin' your groceries in a poke". A new neighbor asked me not long ago if I had lived here all my life. "Not yet but I'm gettin' close" I responded.
I've spent a lot of time on the Outer Banks and find their speech fascinating. 'Bout the same as Tidewater but we call it Ocracoke Brogue. My first few trips back in the 60's were learning experiences. I met an old gentlemen - in his late 70's at the time - who had only been off of Hatteras Island one time in his entire life and that was to fight in World War II! He told me that it was no wonder there was such a ruckus going on back then; nobody could talk plain English anymore !!
My late brother grew up in Tennessee and had a "twang" that woudn't quit. We'd drive our wives crazy with his TN twang and my response in Ocracoke brogue!
BTW, Thanks again, that Moonshiner's Muscadine wine recipe was spot on. Will be making another run of that recipe along with others since the 'dines are coming in full bore right now.

Yep, born and bred in NC so I've heard a lot country pronunciations and love to "spoof" our Northern folks who move in such as "puttin' your groceries in a poke". A new neighbor asked me not long ago if I had lived here all my life. "Not yet but I'm gettin' close" I responded.
I've spent a lot of time on the Outer Banks and find their speech fascinating. 'Bout the same as Tidewater but we call it Ocracoke Brogue. My first few trips back in the 60's were learning experiences. I met an old gentlemen - in his late 70's at the time - who had only been off of Hatteras Island one time in his entire life and that was to fight in World War II! He told me that it was no wonder there was such a ruckus going on back then; nobody could talk plain English anymore !!
My late brother grew up in Tennessee and had a "twang" that woudn't quit. We'd drive our wives crazy with his TN twang and my response in Ocracoke brogue!
BTW, Thanks again, that Moonshiner's Muscadine wine recipe was spot on. Will be making another run of that recipe along with others since the 'dines are coming in full bore right now.

Yer welcome, neighbor. A body needs a glass of muscadine now and then. I reckon you must be happy as two dead pigs in the sunshine.

I come from a city that has its own language, Pittsburgh! Here are some terms in Pittsburghese and the English translation:

Aht = out Self explanatory.
Buggy = shopping cart As simple as that but said more authentically with a slight accent. “Go aht an' grab me a buggy.”
Chipped-Chopped Ham (chipped ham) = processed lunch meat made from ham pieces, trimmings, and spices.Usually eaten on a sandwich, sometimes with barbecue sauce called “ham barbecue.”
Crik = creek Used for just about any flowing body of water smaller than a river. “Just have the kids go play near the crik.”
Dahntahn = Downtown “Yinz wanna go Dahntahn, n’at?”
Dippy = appropriate level for dipping into Mostly used when ordering eggs over easy. “I’ll take an order of dippy eggs with some toast.”
Gumband = rubber band Western Pennsylvania term. “There are extra gumbands in the top drawer.”
Jagoff = jerk The best yinzer word that everyone can use without judgment. “Quit being a jagoff and let the car merge into the lane.”
Jeet jet = Did you eat yet? Best said with such a thick accent that most people can’t understand you.
Jumbo = bologna lunch meat Probably the preferred way to order bologna at the deli counter. “I’ll take one pound of jumbo, thinly sliced.”
N’at = and that An oft-used extender to just about any sentence. “We were watching the Parts and drinking beer, n’at.” Of course, like yinz, "and that" isn't even a particularly common phrase in standard English, but generally n'at is a more or less meaningless casual phrase to tag on to the end of a sentence, like "and whatnot." You also might see it as a bumper sticker, spelled "n@."
Nebby = nosy, prying Used to describe your most gossip-loving coworker, primarily used when referring to personal, yet trivial details. “Stop being so nebby about my date last night."
Parts = Pirates The local major league baseball team
Pixburgh = Pittsburgh Pittsburgh’s talk so fast, it often comes out pronounced as this. Millennials have adopted this spelling as an affectionate term on social media.
Pop = soft drink Pittsburgh choosing pop is the equivalent of Penguins vs. Flyers and Sheetz vs. Wawa in Pennsylvania’s pop vs. soda war. Head east, and you’ll find the opposite.
Redd up = clean, tidy up Used by old, yinzer parents when they want you to clean your room. “Your grandparents are coming over, so go upstairs and redd up your room.”
Slippy = Slippery Simple and used all the time in winter. “Careful: The sidewalk is slippy.”
Stillers = Steelers The local NFL team
Sweeper = vacuum Also, the verb "sweep" is used when vacuuming, which is a bit confusing when saying, “I emptied out the sweeper and swept the carpet.”
Yinz = you all Also sometimes said as “Yinz guys.” Yinzers love yinz. Get used to it.

Latest posts

Back